Thursday, February 15, 2024

Post Snow Storm

I shoveled out the walkway, driveway and car on Tuesday after it stopped snowing. Then I took the dogs to the park but had to shovel out all the gates so we could enter and exit each section. That's five gates. The dogs were delirious with pent-up energy because morning walks just aren't enough, even in foot-deep drifts. They need to run around like loonies and that makes them happy. Meanwhile, I trudge and pant with a shovel in hand. My forearms are sore from shoveling. It takes me over two hours to clear everything, and another half hour to clear the car. 

On Wednesday, before my dental appointment, I take an hour to clear the snow on the opposite side of the house where my husband normally parks. He's been in Boston all week and Boston only got wind and flurries. The shoveling makes me tired, and my hips and lower back are stiff. The sciatica isn't bothered by this. Only long sits and getting out of bed first thing aggravate the right-side sciatic nerve lately. Well, at least the FitBit registered snow shoveling as a cardio activity. 

Today, I go to the gym and worry that my forearms will be problematic. But, actually, they aren't and I'm shocked. If anything, the first dozen reps feel controlled and powerful. But of course, by the time I get to rep 16, I'm getting a bit wibbly but I get my set. Cardio wasn't horrible either, although the tethers on my earbuds were distracting as one would stick to my cheek or neck or threaten to rotate the earbud down, which means the sound gets muffled. Finally I knot the back of the tether to take up the slack and that solves the problem. I like singing (to myself) while I'm pedaling: I feel it makes me inhale more deeply and my oxygen intake is better, which means my endurance and speed are better. Or at least that's my take on it.

After pull-ups, I do Seated Cable Rows. I've decided that putting Core Exercises last allows me to get to the weights before the HS kids show up. I don't care if they show up when I'm in the Aerobics Room. I'm vaguely aware of other members working out around me while I'm at the Cable Rows, but my focus very narrow and I don't want to be distracted with chatter. In the Aerobics Room, most folks work out in silence. Today, a middle-aged man has his cell cradled between his neck and shoulder while he swings his legs. I suppose he's stretching or something, but mostly he's annoying because he's nattering on and on and everything else is just sloppy and half-ass. I guess he could say he went to the gym and worked out, but I'd be embarrassed to make that claim. But maybe that's just me...


15 February 2024 11:22-12:57
Post Nor’easter Thursday & two days of shoveling / sore forearms
(Turned off Bluetooth )

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5894)
Distance: 2.93
Cal: 330
Avg Hr: NA 163, 196-90
Fitbit: 56-166

HGPU 18 (2 struggle)

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15
60 x 12
70 x 12 reps x 3 sets

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
30 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper stretch w twists
Walking lunges 39 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...