Friday, February 16, 2024

Friday Before the Break

There's a saying in the gym that goes: if you're slamming the weights every time you lift, then the weights are too heavy for you. Because you have no control over your form. I'm pedaling at the gym and the repetitive sound of crashing weights pierces my music bubble. It's jarring and distracting. Ugh.

I'm already tired and having a hard time with cardio today, maybe because I've made a few changes to my meals. My weight has plateaued at an unpleasant 118.4 for several weeks now and I'd be happy if it dropped to my pandemic weight of 113. Even happier if I could get it to 110 but that might be wishing too hard. As a small middle-aged person whose metabolism has slowed, I'm unable to eat 3 meals a day, not that I ever ate anything more than coffee for breakfast. But eating once a day (supper) means I'm ditching the afternoon oatmeal. I have been having salads for dinner for the past week: salads with leftover protein, a smattering of walnuts, dried cherries or raisins, apple chunks and bits of cheddar. 

I'm dismayed to read about oat products such as Cheerios and oatmeal embedded with chlormequat, a pesticide used as a plant growth regulator. I have a box of Cheerios in my cupboard right now! And I have no idea who grows the store brand oatmeal I like to eat. I guess I'll have to toss it all and buy organic oats now if I want to eat them for their cholesterol-lowering qualities. Will apples work just as well? It's all about the soluble fiber, right?

Eventually the noise stops and I see three undersized teen boys saunter out the door. I really wish one of the senior lifters would've said something to them, else how else will they every learn proper technique. And etiquette.

It's really cold but sunny and extremely windy. That makes it feel much colder than it is. The gym isn't very crowded in spite of the lot full of cars outside. Spring break for the public schools starts next week, and Monday is a holiday as well. My kid doesn't come home for break until next month.

After cardio, I brave the DB area where there are several guys hoisting weights. Luckily, I can ignore the big dude draping himself over one of two inclined benches. I think he was just resting; as soon as I start wiping the bench down and laying my hoodie over it, he retreats. It helps to have music. The plastic tether unknots itself, but keeps the earbuds from falling out of my head. I vaguely recognize some of the regulars, but I'm not focused on other people. My objective is to get all my sets done, not injure myself and then do a bit of core and loosen up the hips and lower back. 

I skip walking lunges even though the Aerobics Room is freezing and I'm sure they'd help me warm up. But I'm too tired. I can do everything else as long as I have my hoodie zipped up. Even Wall Squats don't seem so horrible. 

I have a follow-up appointment about my hypertension with my primary on Monday. I'm planning to do a quick cardio workout beforehand, even if it means dealing with the distasteful morning crowd. I think I'm making good progress in lowering my BP but of course, I'm relying on my home BP monitor machine to be accurate. I'll have to remember to bring that with me.

15 February 2024 11:56-1:37
Blustery Friday before HS spring break

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5608) exhausted
Distance: 2.84
Cal: 316
Avg Hr: NA 151, 188-78
Fitbit: 57-146

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 (yaaaay!)

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
30 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
  Skip Walking lunges 39 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...