Monday, February 5, 2024

Dangers of Sitting

I sat a lot this weekend although I did go to the dog park, take the dogs for their nightly walks, and hauled in a wheelbarrow of firewood. But I spent a lot of time at a table practicing color theory and application with some inexpensive watercolor paints. I've finally been able to take a class at the art center where I've been keen to study under one particular artist, ever since I saw her show at the local library years ago. In past years, classes always conflicted with my kid's school schedule and after school activities. He's a college freshman now so I finally have free time!

Standing while painting would require a "standing desk" and that's not in the cards for my tiny bungalow house. Watercolor also requires a flat table so easels aren't appropriate. It's only after two days of sitting that I feel the tell-tale symptoms: a numbing discomfort along the outside of my calf, glute soreness, an odd lower back ache. Yep, it's the beginning of a sciatica attack, and the only solution is stand and walk around a lot more. Exercise especially helps so there's no skipping the gym today.

The gym parking lot is crowded but the gym is not. Not sure why there are so many cars then. Cardio sucks today and I don't make it past 2.9, nor can I get those last 2 pull-up reps. The wearable device says my HR is averaging slightly lower. That's sort've in keeping with the slow descent of my blood pressure. The last two readings (125/87 and 116/81), while higher than a healthy normal (120/80), fall under Hypertension 1 (130-139/80-89), down from Hypertension 2 (140/90+). If you get to 180/120+, you're in crisis and should go to the hospital. Last summer, my BP measured 170/110 and I definitely had a headache. It's said that the diastolic (bottom) number is more important than the top (systolic) since it refers to the blood vessel "at rest." I'd agree with that. 

Unexpectedly, there are people scattered throughout the Aerobics Room. I get my core workout done and everything is routine until I decide to scroll through the news feed on my phone while doing Wall Squats. The earbuds decide that they should be linked to the phone, which isn't playing any music, instead of the iPod. This happens three times 30 seconds into the Wall Squat. Until I finally figure out that I can turn off the auto sync feature on the phone and force the AirPods to stay linked to the tunes on the iPod. Ugh. And after 3 aborted 30 second attempts, the full 90 second Wall Squat didn't feel all that bad. So weird.

2 February 2024 11:27-12:51
Arctic Monday w/ Sciatica Hints

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5702)
Distance: 2.87
Cal: 320
Avg Hr: NA 156, 190-82
Fitbit: 56-144

HGPU 18

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5 alt/ss = 100
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper stretch w twists
Walking lunges 41 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

Wall Squat 90s
(Damn AirPods kept bumping iPod nano for the iPhone. Ugh. Reset 3x)


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...