Monday, February 27, 2023

Well That Went Fast

I haven't been to the gym in 4 days so I definitely had to go today. Plus, I might be shoveling heaps of that frosty white stuff tomorrow according to the weather forecast. Last week was Winter Break for our school district, and I enjoyed staying up until 1-2 AM and sleeping until 8-9, then taking the dogs to the park. 

I've got a comfy "stadium seat" on the floor near the woodstove and there's nothing more soothing than watching TV next to a toasty fire, especially when temps dropped into the teens. Sometimes, one of the dogs plops down next to me on the floor too.

I'm a big fan of being able to stream old shows to watch from pilot to series finale. So I finally got to watch the last two seasons of an old favorite, Suits, before all the hubbub with British royalty. I enjoy legal dramas although there will never be anything quite like Boston Legal with James Spader and William Shatner. (I've never been an Ally McBeal fan. Nope.) We subscribe to Paramount+ on our Roku streaming device so I've been able to watch fun shows like So Help Me Todd (another comedic legal detective show), and The Good Fight, a spin-off from The Good Wife. CSI: Vegas is good too. But by far, my favorite show lately has been NCIS: Hawaii. And not just because of the beautiful backdrops. 

Unlike the current remake Hawaii 5-0 (which lost its lead Asian characters when the show refused to pay its Asian actors the same as its white actors), NCIS: Hawaii not only has a wonderfully authentic cast, but also infuses local lingo and culture throughout the show. I literally giggled when characters referred to haoles. This show is the complete antithesis to Magnum PI which really had no local color other than palm trees and Hawaiian shirts. The original Hawaii 5-0 (with Jack Lord) at least used local actors for their supporting cast.

I don't even make 2.8 on the elliptical today, but still better than not coming at all. And I feel good about the pull-ups, although I should probably start adding that second set back in. Core was routine and felt fine. If it doesn't snow tonight into tomorrow, I'll be at the gym. Otherwise, I'll be shoveling and salting... 

I went to the store before heading home to take the pups to the park. At the grocery, I see oddly anemic strawberries that are being marketed as Pineberries. The label says they're sweet but I haven't tasted them yet. At $3.99 for 10, they aren't prohibitively expensive but more of a curiosity. Without that luscious red color, do these fruit have the same vitamin C and antioxidant content? Apparently pineberries are also known as pineapple strawberries and aren't a "frankenfruit," but rather, the results of cross-cultivation of some ancient and weird varieties of strawberries. They are said to taste of pineapples. I guess I'll find out tonight since I bought some to try.

27 February 2023
Post Winter Break Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5414)
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 305
Avg Hr: 139, 188-73

HGPU 20

Aerobics room perfumed!
15 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
15 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...