Monday, February 13, 2023

Post SuperBowl Monday

I didn't actually watch the big game, but I made sure to view all the commercials, and the halftime show thanks to digital streaming and endless commentaries on the best and the worst. I'll admit, I was impressed with the floating platforms that Rihanna and her dancers were performing on. And those white fluffy two-piece outfits made everyone look like dancing chickens. Dark shades only added to the effect. RiRi was resplendent in a blood red outfit, complete with molded breastplate and belly protector (she looks to be 5-6 mos along).

As for the commercials, I'm a sucker for ones with animals in them, especially dogs. And creepy bunnies (Tubi with vibes from Donnie Darko). Everyone's making a big deal about the Farmer's Dog spot, about growing up with a cherished pup. But I'm fond of the Amazon one with the pandemic dog suddenly left home alone. And of course, he acts up by destroying the house. Thankfully, instead of being "re-homed" or abandoned, the dog's family has a better solution. Whew!

Now we're all asking that uncomfortable question, "Does Amazon sell puppies online?" Good gosh, no! As a matter of fact, as of February 2nd of this year, as a cost-cutting measure, Amazon discontinued their Smile program which had allowed customers to donate a tiny percentage of their purchases to a 501(c) charity of their choice. The Jindo Love Rescue group in South Korea had benefited from this for the past few years. But no more.

The gym parking lot is sparsely populated for a Monday. I'm thinking Super Bowl hangovers. I'm tired too because once again I'm not getting enough REM hours. Even that last pull-up feels harder than it should. Core is okay, and I have time to do 10 minutes on the Step Machine. I don't get as sweaty as I should even though all the settings are the same as before. I never know whether the steps will move at 55 spm (or more or less) even though I've set it for level 6 (translates to 60 steps per minute or spm). Today the machine spent most of the time at 52. Other days it'll hover between 55 and 57. It's very capricious for a machine.

Over the weekend, I read that routine vaccinations that might make a difference as to whether you develop Alzheimer's as you age. I get the flu shot every year because I've been devastated by "mild" flus and I don't want to experience something worse. I'm hesitant about getting the shingles vaccine though because it's two shots spaced a few weeks apart and only good for 3 years, the same amount of protection that having shingles itself will give you. Of course, I suspect that each bout of shingles might get progressively worse, so I have to give this some serious consideration. And maybe taking the shingles shots every 3 years might protect against dementia? But will it also ward off cold sores? At least I'm eating my fiber, not just for my gut/bowel health and cholesterol benefits, but now it seems, as another defense against Alzheimer's.

13 February 2023
Post SuperBowl Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5540)
Distance: 2.82
Cal: 313
Avg Hr: 142, 178-78

HGPU 20

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
15 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

StepMill (R)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-55)
Steps 519
Floors 32
Cal 76
Hr 126

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...