Friday, February 3, 2023

The Blustery Day

The weather app warned of freezing spray this morning. While 19F does indeed mean black ice and other frozen hazards, spray isn't normally one of them. Further investigation leads me to believe that this warning is for coastal areas only. I live in a county that is bordered by the Hudson River to the far west and another state to the east. No need to worry about "spray" unless I planned to go boating in the ocean. No frozen spray in our lakes, ponds and streams. The wind, however, is another matter.

Although temps hover at 18F, the wind chill makes frostbite seem imminent to exposed fingers and faces. While I understand the concept of wind chill, I've often wondered how it's calculated. Of course, you can fine anything on the internet. Click here for the wind chill calculator, and here as well. The first site also provides an explanation and equation if you want to do a deeper dive. 

I don't care what anyone says, I find the Fahrenheit measurements to be nuanced and accurate when I want to know what temperature something is. There's a huge gap between 0 and 100 in the Centigrade system unless you also want to use fractions. Which is why this image made me laugh. It's a keeper. 


Skies are clear and sunny but the howling wind keeps a lot of dog owners from the park today. Swaying trees and dropping branches are a serious consideration in a tree-filled park. I cut my workout short so I can take advantage and bring my pups earlier. And by short, I mean I only do one round of the last set of DB Shoulders instead of 3. I'm leery of pushing too hard, especially since I woke up really tired but without the knot under the left shoulder blade. However, after a dozen pull-ups, the knot reappeared, verifying my belief that it's a lat muscle spasm. Ugh. Well, at least I knocked out cardio with some panache.

So, I only do one set and it actually doesn't feel bad at all. Of course, under normal circumstances, I feel fine until the third set when everything is tired and prone to injury. When I drive home to get my dogs, I see a wire and branches in the road just past my hedges. Upon approaching my front door I see that my neighbor's tree has just fallen over and landed on my husband's car. 


He's kicking himself for not driving to the store sooner. Then he would've missed all the drama and only come home to a tree laying across his parking spot and our hedges. The car's probably totaled but we won't know until the tree is removed and the vehicle towed to a repair shop for a proper assessment.

Meanwhile, my husband needs a car to drive to work on Monday and now won't be able to fulfill his duties as a Cabin Master for the Scout Camp this weekend. At least there seem to be used cars for sale, unlike a year ago when there weren't any at all.

3 February 2023
Friday Fatigue Irony

Precor elliptical #2
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5858)
Distance: 2.92
Cal: 328
Avg Hr: 151, 200-76

HGPU 20 (left knot reappears)

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
15 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...