Wednesday, January 18, 2023

For Better or Worse

My foot was sore when I woke up this morning and that surprised me. But then again, I probably should've expected some repercussions from a full day of being on my feet. Being short means my legs don't reach the ground when I sit in a chair and that's hard on my sciatica. 

Well, I did get warm on the elliptical because I did the entire 35 minutes although I didn't pedal as fast as usual, and that shows in the steps/mileage displayed. I also consciously put weight on the ball of my foot and the big toe instead of having it evenly distributed across all the metatarsals. Anything that requires landing on the forefoot is a big painful No. I might resort to the recumbent bike at some point...

My forearms are still a little sore from using the hedge trimmers to clear thorny wineberry vines from the wood racks days ago. My damaged foot is numb at the toes. Pedaling backwards, once my favorite thing to do, puts a lot of stress on my feet and hamstrings. In the Aerobics Room, I'm good with doing all my core and stretching. I've swapped a piriformis stretch for a gluteal stretch because it's basically the same movement but less stressful on the knees and arms. I also find that as the supporting leg is lowered and the foot taps the ground, the lower abs become involved. Well, that's a pleasant surprise. 

 
As I read more articles on mitigating lower back issues, I see a variation on the Bird Dog. It's not a static plank but an alternating sides exercise. Well, I guess I'll have to try it to see how I do, but maybe not just yet. I've also read an article that makes me wish I wanted an Apple Watch because it has an awesome HR monitor in a wearable format. Apparently HRV (heart rate variability) is a good thing although I'm still concerned about my own... but not enough to consult a cardiologist.

The gym is virtually empty today. I don't mind. I do my DB Shoulder routine because that has little impact on my feet. The locker room has better lighting and I snap a few pix of my feet side-by-side for comparison. Maybe the toe isn't broken, but it's still very unhappy. Dr Google did provide me with one very useful bit of advice in dealing with a possible broken toe: wear wide but stiffer shoes with support. Looser, softer shoes have too much flex in them and put more pressure on the metatarsal base.

18 January 2023
Sore Foot Wednesday
Woke up with Foot/toes sore 

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5372)
Distance: 2.77
Cal: 304
Avg Hr: 144, 180-83

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
15 Hip Thrusts
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...