Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Being Sixty Is Different Now

Temps peaked at 64F today and will drop 20 degrees by tomorrow. And even at 44F, it'll be unseasonably warm for January in New York. The gym is crowded, probably because it's mid-week post-holiday season. Not sure how many New Year resolutions are present but I see a lot of regulars from the past year. Cardio isn't as good as yesterday but to be expected since I'm a little sore and a little tired as well.

The side hip bridges don't seem to be offering any benefit so I'm going to delete them from my routine. I've decided that the Inclined DB Presses are a sufficient tricep workout if I do them twice weekly, which means I can skip the Rip Skulls and Skull Crushers. Those were starting to bother my elbows even at the relatively light 35 lb weight. I can't go heavier with less reps without aggravating my sciatica or my glaucoma (no heavy lifting). So high reps it is! And the DB shoulder routine is lots of reps. 

Which means I should be doing this routine again on Friday. I just have to be mindful not to give myself another rusty splinter from handling the DBs. I wear lifting gloves but fingers are still exposed, and the cold dry air makes my sensitive dry skin even more fragile. Remember, I'm the princess who sliced her finger open so that it bled down her arm from a fragment of enamel paint peeling from the pull-down machine handle!

Selma (64) and Flo (63)
I've been enjoying Night Court now that it's streaming on Amazon Prime. I'd forgotten that raspy-voiced Selma died during the series. Not surprising that lung cancer did her in. And that she was replaced for a short time by Flo, who also died during the show (a stroke and then cancer). Both Selma and Flo were in their sixth decade although they both looked a lot older! My grandmother was also in her 60s when I remember being a child, and she looked kind of dumpy like that too. Being 60 is a lot different now, not that Americans are living any longer. I'll be 63 in March. Certainly, there's still a lot of 60-year olds who look like 60-year olds from last century's 60s. I'm just glad I'm not one of them yet. I'm planning on being active well into my 80s. (90s might be pushing it since we all shrink as we age and driving a vehicle isn't going to get any easier.) That's at least another 20 years so I had better stay in shape!

4 January 2023
Rainy Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5588)
Distance: 2.84
Cal: 315
Avg Hr: 139, 202-88

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
12 Gentle Hip Bridge/Thrusts
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Side bridge planks 12 each side
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...