Monday, June 20, 2022

Post-Father's Day

I woke to the surprising sound of the heat kicking on. I had set the thermostat to 52 and apparently temps dropped down to 48F. Good sleeping weather! It's a holiday so I get to sleep in a tiny bit later than usual and I get to the gym 30 minutes later. The gym seems empty, but that's because I'm between "shifts." I get my pick of ellipticals, which is #1, and actually manage to hit 2.9 today. Wahoo! Of course, I'm still breathless when I reach the Stretch Cage to do pull-ups. And luckily, happily, I'm able to squeeze out 23 reps. That last rep is always a challenge, with me struggling to inch my face up past the bar.

I'm only here to do cardio, pull-ups, core and most importantly, stretches that help relieve any impending sciatica. We're gone for a week next month to visit colleges and none of the hotels we've booked have gyms. I'll be bringing a yoga mat just to do some stretching and core in the room because sitting in a car for hours at a time is going to suck. (That's another reason I'm not willing to attempt Seated Cable Rows for now. It's preceded every really bad sciatic attack I've had.) I might do Triceps tomorrow...

Over the weekend I read about gut health affecting mood, and yogurt appears to be the hero. I should start eating it regularly again, in spite of being lactose intolerant. That doesn't stop me from enjoying milk in my cold cereal or having a small bowl of ice cream. I haven't assessed the dietary damage from eating out for Father's Day. 

We went to our favorite restaurant and I had the chef's special, a big hunk of delicate sea bass encased in thin slices of potato on a bed of couscous and shredded red peppers and zukes. Unfortunately, the fish could've used a tad more seasoning. The oysters were large and meaty and my husband enjoyed a nice strip steak with a side of king crab legs. And cheesecake for dessert. Glad we don't eat out very often!

20 June 2022
Juneteenth Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5808)
Distance: 2.90
Cal: 325
Avg Hr: 144, 196-82

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
(5 one leg hip thrust)
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Pull-apart band 25
Gentle upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 3

HGPU 23

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...