Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Longest Day Ever

I didn't realize yesterday was the Summer Solstice but it certainly felt like the longest day ever. I had plans to go to the gym then take the dogs to the park before dropping them off at the dog sitters for a trial-run overnight stay. Instead, my son tells me that he's got a review session at the HS at 8 AM so can I give him a ride? There's also the vote for the revised school budget, also at the same HS. 

I think I can still make it to the gym for an abbreviated workout. Until my son tells me once we pull up to the school, that he's forgotten his backpack with his calculator and books that he'll need for the review class. And that's because he was up all night, in vampire mode, and has only had an hour sleep. Teens! 

I'm a compulsive person, so I drive back home and get his pack, realize that I've lost too much time to actually go to the gym (because I'd also need to shower after exercising) so I change out of my gym clothes and decide well, I needed to shop for groceries anyway. I can't text my kid because all phones are collected during state tests (to prevent cheating) and the security at the front desk sends someone to retrieve my kid from the cafeteria where the session is being held. A boy arrives who is not my kid. Same name. Wrong kid. Eventually, one of the monitors takes the pack to the class after I show him a pix of my kid on my phone. Now I can be on my way.

I buy groceries (there's a sale on V-8 juice this week), put perishable stuff in the fridge, take dogs to the park, retrieve my son (because he's home now), take the dogs to the dog sitter, drop off an employment application for my son (he's still undecided but there's a deadline), and then, to keep him awake during daylight hours, we go to see Jurassic World Dominion because it's $5 Tuesday at the local movie house. Once we get there, I find myself unable to get past the entrance into the actual viewing room itself because I literally can't see anything in front of me. It's all blackness with 3 red lights on the floor and that's it. My son has to come back and guide me by the hand to where the seats are. Ugh. 

I'll blame the glaucoma meds because they have a negative impact on night vision. And I'll blame the movie house, because even though the previews are playing, there's nothing on the screen. There's audio but no visual. Most of the audience seem to be impaired seniors or just impaired in general, because those leaving their seats are only doing it to buy popcorn and giant soft drinks. I send my son to tell the staff to fix this and eventually they do. 

I liked the movie and it didn't really seem like 2.5 hours, mostly because it was non-stop action with a lot of references to the original Jurassic Park films, including most of the main characters. Sam Neill has aged really well! Anyway, my son stayed awake for the entire flick although he fell asleep and stayed asleep once we got home. The house is very quiet without the dogs and I stay up much later than I wanted probably because while I only had one cup of coffee, I was sipping it all day. It was a very long day.

Today, my son is up before I am, which is good because he needed to be awake for his last exam. I get to the gym a tad earlier than usual, do my routine and am done in time to get my dogs from the sitter. One has considerable anxiety so we go to the park for a few minutes to let them run out their zoomies even though it's raining. I didn't have time to push around weights so it was just cardio, core and stretches, and pull-ups. (Pull-ups are good today but I still feel they'd be better if I weighed less!) I increased the one-leg hip thrusts to 10 only because I can feel the tension from the glute into the thigh bicep of the bent leg but I don't know if that's good or bad. I guess I'll find out.


22 June 2022
Rainy Post-Solstice Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5824)
Distance: 2.91
Cal: 327
Avg Hr: 150, 186-95

HGPU 24

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
(10 one leg hip thrust)
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Pull-apart band 25
Gentle upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 3

HGPU 22

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...