Friday, June 10, 2022

Just a Skosh More

It's a brilliantly sunny day but my head's still cloudy inside. Maybe allergies or maybe something else but the outcome is the same: feeling lethargic but still making my way to the gym. The cardio is mediocre and the core routine is just that. Routine. I'm torn between spending 10 minutes on the step climber or pushing some weights. I opt for the latter, of course.

After a set of standard 30 lbs, I find two of the smaller magnet disc weights, which are 1.25 lbs each, and affix them to either side of the solid barbell. That makes the BB about 32.5 lbs, which I'm not certain is really noticeable. Except that it is. By the 5th set, my arms feel a little tired! Is this what getting old is about? 

Mind you, it's not true super-setting in that I rest for a few seconds between the first set (Skull Crushers) and the second set (Rip Skulls). Followed by a longer rest of up to a minute. Repeat another two times for a total of six sets. And I'm done! I'm going to stick to this until it feels too easy, and maybe I'll increase by another 2.5 lbs to hit 35 lbs, which is what I was doing before, but that was six sets of Rip Skulls and it was admittedly hard on my sciatica, wonky shoulder, and delicate elbows.

I'm toying with the idea of a few reps at the Seated Cable Row on pull-up days (more bicep involvement), but limiting myself to under 70 lbs, since every time I move the weight up my sciatica flares up for weeks and weeks, and it's just not worth it. Which is crushing to my ego since I can move so much more weight. Except for the painful consequences. But I'm bored, and it's going to be hard to keep the momentum going once school goes on summer hiatus and there's no actual reason to get up at 5:45... I need something to excite me!

10 June 2022
Bright Friday but my head’s foggy

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5682)
Distance: 2.87
Cal: 320
Avg Hr: 132, 186-80

Crunches 60 (!!! Vertigo)
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Pull-apart band 25
Gentle upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 3

Skull Crushers / Rip Skulls
30 lbs x 12 reps each x 2
32.5 x 12 x 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...