Friday, June 4, 2021

The Hip Twinge

I woke up with an injury I don't remember incurring. It's an intermittent twinge in the crease of my front hip, right at the top of the thigh, but only in one tiny spot. If I move slowly and purposefully, there's no pain. But increase my gait and perhaps add a bit of sloppy maneuvering and the sharp stab immediately halts forward motion. Is it the sartorius muscle, the longest muscle in the body? Or something else? Ugh. This happens to me a lot: something slips out of place imperceptibly and then there's pain until my body figures out how to wrangle everything back into proper position. It's not as severe as a dislocation, but it's still annoying.

Because I don't know if pedaling backward will help or hurt, and since someone's already on the elliptical I favor, I opt to do 25 minutes on the cross-trainer instead. My hip doesn't hurt while I pedal but my foot goes numb at the end of the session. Temps have been rising all week. It's around 80F at noon and there are few people inside the gym. Thank goodness the air conditioning is on full blast. 

I pare my abs & core routine further to save time. The piriformis stretches don't help the hip twinge, but they don't make them worse either. (Is it hip flexor strain? It's not persistent so probably not.) I plan to do shoulders before showering and leaving to find triple-A batteries and kale salad. Most of the remote devices and flashlights at home use AAA batteries and so now we have a surplus of AA, C, D, and 9 volts, because nothing we use on a daily basis uses anything but triple-As. 

The HS kids arrive just as I'm about done. I'm hoping my hip will calm down and that the twinge disappears. It's going to be in the 90s on Sunday and almost as hot all next week. Dogs don't like the heat much and neither do I. Thankfully, places like the gym have full-blast air conditioning! 

4 June 2021
Friday Left Hip Twinge

LF cross-trainer
20 min + 5 cool down
Program Manual 1
HR 125-157
Cal 199
Distance 2.79

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

DB raises supersets
lateral standing 15 lbs x 15 x 4
Rev Incl flys (w/u) 15 lbs x 20 x 1
20lbs x 20 x 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...