Monday, June 7, 2021

It's a Heat Wave

Today's bug bite
Temps hit the low 90s yesterday and promise to do so again today. It's a good thing I got scheduled for the a/c repairman to come this morning at 8 am. Which meant taking the pups to the park at 7: they got to sit in the car with my son while waiting for the school bus. My dogs are not patient creatures, especially first thing in the morning, and especially when there's a wee dog in a window on a house on the corner barking at us. 

At 7 am, it's still warmer than the dogs prefer and after a mere 20 minutes, one has his tongue lolling out of his mouth panting. There are two other dogs who come early, but they're both smallish 9 yr olds and not much interested in playing with my dogs. Just as well. My dogs say hi but aren't insistent on any interaction. Dogs keep their own canine buddies just like people.

The repair fellow runs diagnostic tests and discovers that the power switch is bad. Other than that, and needing the filters to be washed out, the unit runs fine. It's also the oldest Fujitsu wall unit he's seen that actually works. Credit to benign neglect. Unfortunately, there's no replacement switch in the truck so he hooks up the a/c so that I can shut down the power through the breaker box in the basement. He'll come back with a new switch when he can get it scheduled. They have a lot of units to service. I'm really really happy we don't need to buy a replacement!

Some people just can't live without their a/c. I don't do well with heat, which is why I'm never moving someplace where I'd have to live in a/c all the time. What happens when the power fails (because we all know that infrastructures often do)? Not having a/c is unpleasant but it won't kill us. Of course, we try to keep the pups cool: having fans strategically placed around the house helps a lot. But it's not the same as running an a/c unit. We only have one in the attic room and if we leave it on long enough, the cool air will float downstairs through most of the house. It won't reach the kitchen though, or the master bedroom. 

I'm packing my bag to hit the gym when I get several phone messages and emails telling me that the tech is on his way back to my house. He had been scheduled to return tomorrow but he wanted to be able to close the ticket today. Ben Franklin's adage "Never leave off to tomorrow what can be done today." Total agreement here. Now my a/c unit works properly! I get to the gym and it's nearly 2 pm. Well, at least I'm here in the cool a/c with hardly anyone around. HS kids trickle in over the next 30 minutes. I see a few regulars from the "before" time. 

The hip twinge is intermittent and horribly painful when it does strike. So, it's getting worse, not better. Grrrr... The sciatica is still there but relegated to nuisance status as long as I don't do anything stupid to aggravate it. (More annoying are the countless bug bites I keep incurring. Got several this morning while chatting with the repairman.) I wish it was colder in the gym. After less than an hour, I catch a whiff of myself. Ugh. Cardio made me hot and sweaty with a beet-red face. Then I cooled down in the Aerobics Room, only to get my temps up at the Seated Cable Rows... I thought it was my gym clothes, but I catch a whiff before I step into the shower. Nope, it's me. All that sweating. I'll be cool and dry for the drive home, but sweaty again just doing mundane things like laundry. I guess we're having a heatwave! 



7 June 2021
Blistering Monday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 2
HR 186-136, 89, 97
Cal 317
Distance 2.85

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Skip Push-Ups
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

HGPU 17

EZ Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 15 reps
77.5 x 12
85 x 10
92.5 x 8
85 x 12
77.5 x 12
70 x 15



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...