Thursday, June 10, 2021

No Official Links So Far...

I've been putting on shorts for the drive home after the gym but I'm a bit self-conscious about the horizontal pressure lines around my ankles. They're impressions left by socks I wore under my boots over 4 hours ago. I have highly impressionable skin. Skin that doesn't have that normal resilient bounceback. 

Anything even vaguely tight shows up like an incision. My body displays elastic bands as if I were made of dough. No turtlenecks, scarves, belts, or anything even mildly constrictive for me! It isn't just the weird appearance on my skin, but that such pressures make my extremities numb and tingly. 

I'm not sure if this is related to the genetic skin condition IV, ichthyosis vulgaris (a defective filaggrin gene), but it's a trait shared by my mother and her mother. Include joint laxity and collapsing/rolling veins and I'm worrying about EDS (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome), a connective tissue disorder, as well. I'm convinced it's related to the IV because while collagen defects make sense, I don't come close to having the issues suffered by my husband's niece. She's certified EDS-POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome). Maybe filaggrin affects more than just skin? 

It's been unseasonably hot all week but finally, the humidity has dropped enough to make outdoors bearable. The dogs definitely acted friskier with their canine pals today. The gym is populated with regulars and HS kids again. And after my cardio session, I cool down in the Aerobics Room doing core and stretches. While I'm seated doing mild neck stretches, I attempt to try a few eye yoga moves. I read about Paul McCartney's claims that eye yoga has preserved his vision. It could just be that he has good genetics but I'm willing to spend a few minutes flicking my eyes to the left and then to the right. Up and then down. It's not going to make anything worse. I'll post his video below. I haven't done all the exercises yet--I'm working up to it!

There are the same HS boys in the free weight area that I've seen for the past few months. At least they know to rerack their plates and wipe down the equipment. I do my standard shoulder routine with the 15 and 20 lb dumbbells. And of course, by the very last set, I'm thoroughly warmed up enough to add an extra 5 reps. Normally, I'd also do a few sets of V-bar Press Downs at the cable station, but there are other priorities today. Maybe tomorrow. Or maybe it'll just be a "cardio plus" day. Both ClimbMaster machines are up and running now. And it's been a while since I played Dragon Island on the Expresso Bike... 


10 June 2021
Moderately Hot Thursday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 1
HR 134-188, 84
Cal 320
Distance 2.87

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Skip Push-Ups
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

DB raises supersets
lateral standing 15 lbs x 15 x 3
Rev Incl flys (w/u) 15 lbs x 20 x 1
20lbs x 20 x 2, 25 x 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...