Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Cheese and Pickles

The first time I ever heard of a cheese and pickle sandwich was on the British TV detective show Endeavour and it was immediately intriguing, but not so much that I actually researched it. Instead, I just put together my own American version of sliced pepper jack cheese and bread and butter pickles. Those are my favorite pickles: sweet and slightly tangy. In reality, the British are fond of sliced cheddar (white of course) and Branston pickle which is more of a chutney. I'll have to look for it the next time we go to UK Gourmet, a British goods shop in Connecticut.

I got to the gym earlier today, in part, because it was just too damn hot to stay at the dog park more than the two hours we'd already been there. Eighty-five degrees is just too hot, and one of the dogs (not mine) seemed to be having trouble catching his breath after furiously barking at a peculiar man loitering too close to the fence. His excuse? He was doing community service by weed wacking, but he never actually got the machine started. We assume that's the sentence for a first time DUI or something similar. Tomorrow's not going to be much better but there's a chance for rain on Thursday. (Not sure what the day camp counselors and campers will be doing when that happens.) We don't want anyone, human or canine, to suffer from heatstroke. The Bark Park is tree-shaded, there's a working fountain inside and we're all mindful of keeping the water bowls filled with fresh water.

The gym is moderately cool and I'm happy to pedal to my tunes on the elliptical. I'm drenched after 35 minutes and retreat to the Aerobics Room to do core. Unfortunately, that room isn't noticeably colder, but I do manage to stop sweating. Push-ups are easier than yesterday and I skip pull-ups because I did them yesterday. If I do them two days in a row I risk tendonitis in my elbows and forearms. I have enough time to do Seated Cable Rows and shower. (I always need to factor in time to shower and change because I am not getting into my car sweaty and smelly.) I've cut my sets back to prevent aggravating the lower back arthritis, dropping the heaviest set (not all that heavy) and replacing it with three sets of moderate reps at the next heaviest weight. My back doesn't stiffen so that's promising. 

If I make it to the gym tomorrow, I'll have a go at a shoulder workout. The cardio and core are a given. When I return to my car, the thermometer reads 99F. Ugh. At least it's not as bad as the Pacific Northwest where power lines and asphalt roads are melting...

29June 2021
Blistering Tuesday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 3
HR 136-182, 84
Cal 323
Distance 2.89

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

EZ Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 15 reps
77.5 x 12
85 x 10, 10, 10
70 x 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...