Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Grinning Through It

I spent yesterday morning sawing through several privet limbs that were as thick as my wrist. Admittedly, I don't have very big wrists but it still took a lot of effort to saw branches over my head in the rain. I was wearing a raincoat and rubbers but got all damp from sweaty exertion. And after realizing that sawdust would also be raining down on me, I got a pair of safety glasses that proceeded to steam up. Success with 3 out of 4 branches cut down. Lots of oriental bittersweet vines ripped from my hedges! My day felt very productive even if I didn't make it to the gym. 

Today is cooler, dryer, and sunny. Dogs played with friends. I got ready to go to the gym and ate the oatmeal I had made earlier but didn't get to because dogs were rushing me out the door. Afterward, I developed an upset stomach with sporadic cramping. Ugh. I'm thinking that it's the oatmeal even though it's the same oatmeal with the same ingredients I use all the time. 

I try to wait it out but finally give up and go to the gym anyway. My stomach is still cramping every few minutes but it's not really a tummy ache: rather, it's a type of sharp clenching pain that starts at the bottom of my ribs, disappears like a stab, and then reappears in the lower abdominal area. Food poisoning? Again? Ugh. I have a very sensitive tummy. 

Cardio on the elliptical is tolerable but after 30 minutes I decide I've had enough and hit the Done button before reading the mileage. Oh well... Crunches are painful and I probably shouldn't be doing them but I think that too late, after I've done them. So I just cut back on Dead Bugs instead. Planks and Bird Dogs are okay but the stretching at the end is a bit tenuous. I completely skip any form of eye yoga because I'm worried it's going to make me nauseous and my pups have a vet appointment as soon as I get home. 

Luckily, the pups think they're going to the park to play with friends so they're a bit confused at how long the ride is and all the new sounds and smells. Not every dog they meet there wants to be friends with them though. All goes well until... The vet can only draw a tiny bit of blood from one pup and none at all from the other. He'll have to come back once I dose him with gabapentin to calm him down. I guess gabapentin has multiple uses! I had it for my bout with shingles a few years back. It's not actually a pain killer though, which I guess is good. 

Try again tomorrow to do a full routine... but no promises. Shit happens. 

23June 2021
Tummy Ache Wednesday

Precor elliptical
30 min
Program 3
HR 108-184
Cal 255
Distance

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Skip Push-Ups 25
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...