Monday, May 10, 2021

Another Round

The dogs were bummed that no one showed up to play at the park this morning. Perhaps the cold wet weather put people off. I'm pretty sure that most dogs, like mine, don't care if it's drizzly and chilly. I get to the gym a little earlier than usual to do my standard Monday routine. It's not too crowded. 

I will admit that working out only 3 days a week has pros and cons: my pushups are much more consistent when I don't do them every day but cardio feels hard every time I get on the elliptical. If I do cardio 5 days in a row, by the end of the week, it's much less painful. This means I should be going 5 days a week, but not doing pushups each time I go, just like I only manage pull-ups once or twice a week. I'm happy I can still do them! 

Increasing my weight lifting routine has its problems as well: I've developed a nagging soreness in my right elbow and it's most noticeable as I'm pulling heavier on the Seated Cable Row. My sciatica hasn't disappeared either: I wake up with that tell-tale ache that runs the length of my leg and makes me stand lop-sided as I brush my teeth in the morning. A good romp through the dog park usually fixes that though, what with trudging up and down the woodchip-covered slopes. 

Every now and then I stop to snap a photo of something green poking up through the dirt. I have this nifty app my son turned me on to called Picture This. It's $30/yr but there's a limited free version and that's the one I use. It allows me to ID every plant I stumble across, including the microgreens one of my dogs is intent on sampling. A few minutes later and he barfs it up. The app says it's pokeweed, highly toxic to humans and mammals. I've seen it in its mature state, with deep purple berries affixed to a fleshy stalk. It's apparently benign and beneficial to birds. The other dog relishes eating stalks of new sweet grass. And baby thistle leaves. I might try offering them basil or parsley instead... 

10 May 2021
Moody Monday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 1
HR 145-198
Cal 314
Distance 2.83

Crunches x 20 x 6
Piriformis Stretch
Happy Baby stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 50
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

HGPU 17

EZ Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 15 reps
77.5 x 12
85 x 12
92.5 x 10
85 x 12
77.5 x 12
70 x 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...