Thursday, May 27, 2021

Sleeping In

The fact that I don't get enough sleep isn't news. Some days I feel bad enough to forgo the gym so I can attempt an afternoon nap. So far I have had no success. Instead, I lie in bed and feel my hands and feet go numb from the positions I contort myself in order to block out the daylight. There's a half-moon window high in the bedroom facing east that has no shade or curtain. When I don't get enough sleep, I'm always hungry. And I'm always cold. Sometimes I'm light-headed with bouts of nasty dizziness. Gone are the days when I could curl up for a nap on the sofa with the dogs. Instead, I hear every noise and vibration from everyone's gardener and landscaper. Mowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, wood chippers, heavy vehicles delivering or hauling away... 

At night I use earplugs to drown out the audiobook my husband likes to sleep to. As tired as I am, I tend to lie awake listening to the book because it's usually very interesting. And then I'm awake all night. If it's not the audiobook, then it's his snoring. There's a specific technique that I use with the super-soft foam earplugs: compress the plugs lengthwise to make them narrow in diameter and hold near the ear canal while reaching overhead with the opposite hand to pull the top of the ear. That will change the shape of the opening slightly. Insert squished plug which then expands into the ear canal. This works much better than just stuffing them into your ears. 

I feel a tad more rested today because I didn't have to get up to get my son off to school. Snowday givebacks mean the school district is closed from Thursday through Monday: a five-day super long weekend. Normally we would go white-water rafting with our Scout troop, but we've opted not to this year. Not only do we not have a trusted dog sitter, but the weather forecast is terrible for camping and rafting: cold and rainy. 

The gym is not terribly crowded. I do my standard routine: cardio, stretching & core, push/pull some weights. Teenagers from the next town fill the gym at 2 pm. I'm not sure if they also have a 5-day holiday but teens aren't known for being early risers. Mine certainly isn't. 

I do push-ups, lose count and decide it's enough. I had a thought to also do pull-ups but maybe that'd be pushing it, especially since I want to do shoulders and triceps. When I'm done, it's not that I'm actually done. I could do more. But I don't want to spend all day at the gym. I have replaced my old gym duffel bag with a smaller one with more compartments. Everything fits in it albeit rather tightly. Not thrilled with the choice of camouflage or camouflage. My old one was a red Everlast bag but the nylon is ripping at the zipper ends. I think I prefer one large bag rather than all these separate compartments, but I'll adapt. 

27 May 2021
Pleasantly Thursday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 1
HR 83, 86, 142-188
Cal 322
Distance 2.88

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 50
Mat stretch

DB raises supersets
lateral standing 15 lbs x 15 x 4
Rev Incl flys (w/u) 15 lbs x 20 x 1
20lbs x 20 x 3

V-Bar Press Down
20 lbs x 15 reps
30 x 12
40 x 12
35 x 12
30 x 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...