Thursday, May 20, 2021

Kinda Hot for May

Temps have been peaking in the low 80s this week, and that's unseasonably hot for this time of year. It's spring, not summer! Which makes me dread the coming months because I don't do well in the heat. Too many bugs. And people with my skin condition, ichthyosis vulgaris, tend to be susceptible to heatstroke. I'm really happy not to wear a mask at the gym, especially since I'm drenched after cardio. At least the Aerobics Room is kept cool and I can do stretching and core exercises in relative comfort. 

I don't want to do both push-ups and pull-ups today -- what will I leave for tomorrow? Today's a "pull" day with Seated Cable Rows which naturally means I'm doing pull-ups. I manage to wrangle 17 but just barely. The Seated Cable Rows also feel tough. The gym isn't very crowded, probably because it's Thursday (most people do the 3x week thing) and also, it's kind of nice out if you're not exerting yourself. I looked up from the elliptical and realized that the cardio platform was completely empty except for me and some guy staring at his phone while he marched on the treadmill. 

I still keep a disposable mask in my hoodie pocket in case someone seems uncomfortable with me being maskless. But in general, no one bothers anyone else. Yesterday I chatted with a gym acquaintance and learned that she had contracted Covid back in January. Her doctor advised her not to get the vaccine until 6 months had passed, so not until July. Meanwhile, she was exercising maskless like the rest of us supposedly vaccinated folks. She should have some sort of conferred immunity and it's unlikely she'd be transmitting the virus. Still, I don't spend a lot of time chatting with her and we stand several feet apart. 

People I know are downloading "proof of vaccination" apps for their phones so they don't have to whip their vax cards out of their wallets. I've even seen bracelets with such QR codes advertised as the next new hot accessory. Hmmm. Uh, nope. 

20 May 2021
Maskless Thursday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 2
HR 83, 89, 198-141
Cal 316
Distance 2.85

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Happy Baby stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 1
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Skip Push-Ups (tomorrow)
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

HGPU 17

EZ Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 15 reps
77.5 x 12
85 x 12
92.5 x 10
85 x 12
77.5 x 12
70 x 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...