Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Maskless Wednesday

I always underestimate how much time it takes me to complete my workout routine. You'd think I'd have this down to the micro-second but time moves a lot quicker than I do these days. (Yet, I nag my son for taking too long to get ready for school in the morning.)

I got my son on the school bus, took my plastic bag and film recycling to the dropoff bin at the local grocery (and did a little light shopping), took the pups to the park to play with their friends, sorted yesterday's laundry, (hand)fed dogs their breakfast, ate my breakfast of oatmeal/blueberry jam/egg with my vitamins, got my gym gear together and drove off to do a quick cardio workout. I promised a friend I'd drive her to her MRI appointment this afternoon so no dawdling at the gym. She suffers from claustrophobic anxiety in those machines so she gets a prescription for something to calm her down. Which means she doesn't want to drive herself to the appointment. No problem.

I wear a mask to the gym but quickly see that only half the members are actually wearing masks. Today it's official: vaccinated people don't have to wear masks anywhere except on public transportation, in medical facilities, schools, and childcare facilities. So, I put the mask in my hoodie pocket and do cardio with a bare sweaty face. I feel as if I can pedal a lot faster now that I'm unencumbered. The two ellipticals are occupied so I use the cross-trainer. At some point, every other cardio machine will be put back in service. But not everyone will return since discovering that they can work out at home. 

I barely have time to shower and change so my time in the Aerobics Room is limited to a set of crunches, stretching for my sciatica, and some planks. I reverted to the wired MPow earbuds just so I can make the volume louder and drown out the gym's own music. The AirPods are only worth using when the wires would get in the way (like when I'm benching) and when ambient noise isn't overwhelmingly loud. At least no one is dropping plates in the free weight area today. 

It's worth noting that the senior members appear to be the first to ditch the masks at the gym, while kids are haphazardly wearing theirs under the nose or as a chin strap. While most seniors and adults have been vaccinated (our county's vax rate exceeds that of the state), it's less likely that the kids are. The Pfizer vaccine isn't available at all the walk-in sites and kids have other time commitments, like school. Also, Moderna and J&J haven't been approved for kids or even teenagers. 

Tomorrow I'm hoping to do a full workout, with cardio, core & stretching, and even pushing or pulling some weights. While maskless! But I'm still going to avoid crowds. Because I've always hated crowds. 

19 May 2021
Maskless Wednesday

LifeFitness Cross Trainer
20 min + 5 cool down
Program Manual 1
HR 128-161
Cal 199
Distance 2.83

Crunches 60
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Bird Dogs 60s x 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...