Monday, May 24, 2021

Carnival Fallout

After a blistering weekend of 84F weather, it's a shock to wake up and have to put on layers to take the pups to the park. Temps peaked at 64F today and I'm wearing a flannel shirt instead of linen. We went to an amusement park on Saturday and spent a lot of time walking around in the sweltering heat as the water park section doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend. I'm not a rollercoaster person. There's not a lot to do if you can't ride those things. 

We ate expensive bad food, and then we found tastier, more reasonably priced food at Pinks, which is apparently a chain I've never heard of. But they have a wall of celebrity photos so... I've never seen a side of bacon offered as a side dish before. The bacon cheeseburgers are really good. As were the onion rings. Needless to say, I'm feeling a bit heavier and sluggish today.

I get to the gym at a reasonable time and have a reasonable workout. I'm nearly done by the time the HS kids arrive. I have to cut my reps a tiny bit on the Seated Cable Rows: I can feel a faint discomfort in my forearms and I suspect this will grow into tendonitis if I'm not careful. Curse those delicate, sensitive elbows. 

While I'm in the locker room, the TV host is speaking in bewildered admiration about Phil Mickelson's win of the Grand Slam. Because he's an old man at 50. Excuse me? It's not like he's tossing truck tires. She makes a snide comment, "How is he still walking?" Is that because he has severe psoriatic arthritis (we've all seen his commercials for Enbrel)? Or is it because he's uh, the ancient age of, ahem, fifty. Half a century! Good grief! 

It's the age thing because soon after, the host speaks of a champion gymnast returned to competition after, gasp, having two children. And she's considered well past her prime at 36 years old, just as a woman in her early 40s is considered "geriatric" for motherhood. Women my age are grandmothers. Except for me and some of my peers. 

Yeah, fight like hell. Do not go gentle into that good night... 

24 May 2021
Chilly Monday

Precor elliptical
30 min + 5 cool down
Program 3
HR 198-139, 108
Cal 309
Distance 2.81

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-Ups 50
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

HGPU 17

EZ Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 15 reps
77.5 x 12
85 x 10
92.5 x 8
85 x 12
77.5 x 12
70 x 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...