Friday, May 21, 2021

Blazing Friday

Being maskless indoors feels like a guilty pleasure perhaps because the edict is so new. It's only been 2 days since the governor has stated that NYS will follow CDC masking guidelines. Still, a lot of people are too nervous to remove their masks, even while driving, which, unless you're driving a vehicle not your own with strangers as passengers, is idiotic. The gym is mildly air-conditioned because temps are in the high 70s. (Later, my car says 82F.) Still, it feels great not to pant through a mask. 

I get to the gym later than usual and decide to spend more time on the cross-trainer. Five minutes more than last time increases the mileage by more than I expected but my feet are numb afterward. Ugh. Because it's later in the day, there are a lot more kids in the free-weight area. Thankfully, the Aerobics Room is crisp and vacant. I've deleted Happy Baby from the list: there's been no benefit -- it just takes up time. I will keep the Dead Bugs though because I can feel them working lower abs and obliques. They feel different from crunches which seem focused on central abs and nothing else. 

My sciatica is present but not overwhelmingly so. I keep adjusting my routine to minimize the discomfort. Adding a lunge-like stretch hasn't adversely affected those sensitive nerves the way that "hip-hinged drop my elbows to the floor" does. I can choose between Inclined Benching or DB shoulder work. I'm not a big fan of benching since it can aggravate both the previously torn labial in my shoulder and my sciatica. DB shoulder workout wins! There are way too many teenage bodies in the DB area though so I use the inclined bench inside the Smith machine rack. And then the V-bar at the cable station. My workout has only taken 2 hours but it feels like all day. Time to go! 

21 May 2021
Blazing Friday

LifeFitness Cross Trainer
25 min + 5 cool down
Program Manual 1
HR 112-154
Cal 243
Distance 3.57

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
40 Dead Bugs x 2
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Push-ups 50
Mat stretch w Seated Twist

DB raises supersets
lateral standing 15 lbs x 15 x 4
bent over flys (w/u) 15 lbs x 20 x 1
20lbs x 20 x 3

V-Bar Press Down
20 lbs x 15 reps
30 x 15
40 x 12
35 x 12
30 x 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...