Thursday, February 6, 2020

Perceptions

Age seems to matter less, at least where celebrities are concerned. When someone appears to have "aged badly" we all assume they've either contracted some horrible illness or have abused drugs and alcohol. Nothing ages skin faster than lots of sun, hard liquor, smoking and drugs. Kirk Douglas, barely recognizable in recent photos, just passed away at the grand age of 103. His son, Michael, is a grandpa at 75. My grandma was 60 when I was born. Women at the gym are grandmothers already and still in their 50s. But they also look like grandmothers. Yes, overweight and yet frail.

I'll be 60 soon. Which totally freaks me out. Am I old now? I don't feel old, but I'm not recovering as fast as I used to. I don't sleep as well, and I have to be a tad more cautious not to eat things that will cause digestive disagreement. The wealthy can afford to age well so it's always a shock when they die young. They can afford trainers, vacations, personal chefs and meal plans, and worst-case scenario, a spot of Botox or liposuction. I don't see age as all that bad, except for the misperceptions. I refuse to sign up with AARP because I know I'll be deluged with junk mail trying to sell me hearing aids, bladder control, stairlifts, cemetery sites, supplements and more.

I read the local news about crimes perpetrated by 60-something-year-old men and my first thought is, "You're too freaking old to be doing shit like that." So, I have that misperception too, but only about other people.

I had a friend in college who told me her parents were old. Well, everyone's parents are old in college. No, she said. They're really old, like in their 60s so they can't do a lot of things everyone else's parents do. I met them. They were smart and funny and extremely nice people. I'll be in my 60s when my son goes to college. Hopefully, he won't think of his parents as being ancient creatures.

I don't work out like I'm too old or too frail because I'm not. True, my glaucoma and joint issues have caused me to modify my workouts, but that'd be true at any age. I'm considered young for someone with this eye disease. Still, I have to listen to signs that my body is tired. I've developed canker sores without having ingested hot red pepper flakes or pineapple juice. I start taking lysine just in case and I double my dose of black elderberry syrup. Really, what I need is more sleep. Today is just cardio and core exercises with a lot of stretching. Tomorrow I might focus on legs.


Cardio Thursday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program Intervals
Miles 2.91
Calories 326
HR 141-200 (105, 87, 95)

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 129
Total steps 849
Floors 53
HR 135

Cage Stretch

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60
Sideway Scissors 60
Crunches 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Mat Stretch

2 comments:

  1. It’s not so much that (20ish + years) older parents can’t do shit...it’s more that on average, they will die (20ish + years) sooner than everyone else's parents. And not that I’m saying siblings are absolutely a good thing, but children of older parents are much more likely to have no siblings to help with elderly parents, and will have to deal with elderly parents, on average, sooner than their peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While empirically true, very often there is one child who bears the brunt of elderly parent care with little to no help from siblings, as if they were an only child. I'm hoping not to be a burden as I age. Probably why I exercise so much while I can!

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...