Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Loss For A Word

The difference between the gym in the morning and the gym at noon is humidity and temperature. I'm busting a sweat after just a few moments on the elliptical. The gym is noticeably warmer after the morning crowd has exited. I'm not sure I like it but since my son and I are sleeping a few hours later this week, it is what it is. I'm planning to take the pups to the park again tomorrow which means I'm probably not going to the gym. So today is a combo day: some cardio, core, stretching, and a mix of weight lifting.

The only thing I like is seeing some of the regulars who come later in the day. I'm particularly fond of Maroon even though we've never spoken. He's been coming for several years now but still looks like a fair-headed, overgrown kid with a short beard. There are people who are pleasant, respectful, get their workout done and then leave. It helps if they're cute. I'm always a little happier when I see him. And because I don't want to make things weird, I will probably never speak to him. Sometimes, it is just better to admire from afar. When things get weird, people stress and then perhaps they avoid. I don't know the word for a person who makes the day a little brighter. If anyone has a suggestion, leave it in the comments section!

I start with Seated Cable Rows because it is the only back exercise I'm doing today. To make up for a low number of sets, I do three at the heaviest weight today. I could go to 100 lbs but I wouldn't do 12 reps. Doing fewer reps signifies to me that this might be considered heavy enough to raise my IOPs, something I'm trying to avoid.

The Smith is available so I do Inclined Benching. The unweighted bar seems shaky in the track, steadier once I put a few light plates on. Three sets of 25 reps isn't all that taxing. I've pulled back on the heavy sets for the DB Lateral superset with Reverse Inclined Flys. My right front shoulder twinges until it's properly warmed up, so theoretically I could do 3 more sets at 25 lbs, but I would rather do 3 sets of Rip Skulls and then finish with a Mat Stretch.

Combo Wednesday Back & Shoulders

30 + 5 cd elliptical
Program 2
Miles 2.98
Calories 337
HR 143-194 (108, 96, 89)

Cage Stretch

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
PushUps 30

Seated Cable Rows
70 x 12
85 x 12
92.5 x 12, 12, 12

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 15
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flys
(Rt anterior delt)
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12, 10, 11

Mat Stretch
Reclining Hero pose

2 comments:

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...