Friday, February 7, 2020

Leg Day Sorta

I never did get around to attempting a pistol squat. My right foot still feels a bit unstable, especially when the hammertoes cramp up. I massage and stretch the foot when I remember and I think there's some progress in that I can see the faint outline of a toe knuckle or two when I curl the toes back. I've also been wearing an old pair of Lands End ankle boots (no longer offered) in an exceptionally wide width. It's also very flat, but the sole doesn't have the greatest traction.

I've discovered, much to my chagrin, that my favorite Ariat FatBaby boots might have too much of a heel. A higher heel puts pressure on the ball of the foot and curls the toes upward, shortening the very tendons that cause hammertoes. I might not be able to cure my bunion and hammertoes, but I can keep them from getting worse and requiring surgery. Meanwhile, that big toe is still ugly and bruised. Next week will be two months since the toenail biopsy.

I do my 30 plus minutes on the elliptical and steer myself away from the vacant StepMill that's calling to me. I need to be home by 11 because the dog trainer is coming for the recalcitrant pup who bullies his brother. I have just enough time to get my workout done and then run a few errands. I get two sets of pullups today, but like last time, the second set isn't quite as good as the first. I also do a set of pushups and my core exercises.

The only thing that takes my breath away in a vaguely painful way is Walking Lunges. But that's not new. At least I recover quickly. At the Seated Leg Curl, I skip the last set, the heaviest set. I'm trying to avoid anything that might raise my eye pressures, and moving heavy weights is high on that list. I'm trying not to skip the ending Mat Stretch even though my legs are sore. Working through soreness is a key component to progress.

One of the staff remarks to me in the locker room that she's just found a gray hair and it's made her very upset. I have lots of gray hairs, but I don't color mine and she does. Gray isn't so bad if it becomes snowy white and you still look decently youthful. For some reason, lighter hair can completely alter your appearance, even if everything else remains the same. It's obvious when actors transform their looks for a part, but still so startling. Watching The Witcher on Netflix, I was transfixed by the protagonist, Geralt of Rivia. I actually couldn't stop watching him! I had no idea that he was the same fellow (Henry Cavill) who starred in Superman, The Man from UNCLE, Mission Impossible, and several other films. Because as a brunette, he wasn't all that attractive. To me, at least.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I apparently have a thing for blondes. Why else do I find Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) so intriguing whereas Angel is just dull and boring? If Spike hadn't been a blonde, I might not feel that way. When James Marsters finally dyed his hair back to its natural brunette color, he wasn't at all attractive. Men might feel the same about Emilia Clarke and her character Daenerys Targaryen. Unfortunately, I can't say the same goes for everyone. K-pop boy bands dye their hair all the time, but I'm not thrilled about Lucy Liu's new blonde "do" in the last season of Elementary.

Now I wonder what I'd look like as a blonde... but I'd never go through with it. I'll just wait until all my hair turns white.

Friday Legs

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.90
Calories 326
HR 164-223! (88, 97)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60
Sideway Scissors 60
Crunches 60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
PushUps 30

Walking Lunges
30+30=60

2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 15
30 x 12
35 x 12

HGPU 22

Mat Stretch

4 comments:

  1. There’s a big difference between natural blonde and bleached blonde...just sayin’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I even know any natural blondes... just sayin'

      Delete
  2. Too true! What I meant to say was "natural-appearing blonde", whether truly natural or a good dye job, vs. clearly meant-to-be unnatural bleached blonde.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only for-certain-natural-blondes I've ever seen were wee albino triplet siblings at last year's STEM Fair. But I don't think that counts.

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...