Monday, February 10, 2020

Always in a Rush

The weather is so changeable that there's snow on the ground one minute, and just a muddy sodden mess the next. Wet and cold is my least favorite state to be in, especially feet and hands. I've ordered new rain/snow boots because the "dog walkers" I've had for the past few years leak. They've always leaked but they have good traction on bad weather days. They were the last order I ever made with FootSmart.com because return shipping is prohibitively expensive. Zappos.com is a better deal, but this time I've ordered "waterproof commuter boots" from LLBean.com. I have coupons that reduce the price to a reasonable cost and return shipping is free if they don't fit. I hope they fit. I even ordered a half size up to accommodate heavy winter socks or just my extra wide feet.

Somehow, Mondays became "universal bench press day" so I'm not sure I can actually do a Push Day routine. It all depends on who's on what equipment by the time I get to the weight lifting area. The elliptical, true to form, registers a reasonable heart rate for me most of the time. But then it spikes to well over 200 bpm and then drops to below 90. So weird. I don't think it's me. It might be me, but I think I'd feel that abrupt racing beat thumping in my chest and I don't.

I'm very happy when I finish my core exercises and see that the Smith machine is empty. B is in the adjacent shoulder press station which she is using for squats. Her new gym beau J is coaching her and she squats with her back to the mirror. He's got an oddly orange tan so he's probably competing somewhere. He has big bulging muscles as well. No one else in this gym is that "tan," not even the snowbirds back from Florida.

It's been several weeks if not months since I last did 3 sets of 25 reps so in my mind I'm already giving myself an excuse to do less. However, I still get 25 reps for each set so either this isn't as hard as it should be, or I'm doing remarkably well retaining what I have. I know I can push more. I just don't because it might cause my eye pressures to rise which would lead to greater loss of vision. In the same vein, I've started doing pushups again, and have settled on 30 reps. I can do more, but that would be a greater effort and perhaps again increase my IOPs. I don't want to risk it. On the other hand, I'm not going to call "going for a walk" exercise either. And I've been walking a lot more lately if only because puppers insist on exploring every inch of road in our neighborhood.

The DB superset feels really heavy when I start. It always starts that way though, as if I needed several sets to warm up, which perhaps I do. It's not as if I'm not tired by the time I get to the 20/25 lb split. I take a moment before pulling the clip out of my hair so I can lay flat on the bench to do Rip Skulls. The lone working Step Mill is occupied and I have things to do. Machines that are broken remain broken. I suspect it's a matter of cost. People like my husband continue to pay their monthly dues even though they might show up twice a year. I've told him to suspend or cancel his membership, but he won't because he might want to work out and then he won't be able to. Not a great reason as far as I'm concerned.

One of the staff tells me she is on the verge of quitting because nothing has been repaired in months and she's tired of fielding complaints. There's a gym in every shopping plaza so there are choices. I'm loathed to leave this one for the multiple NY Sports Clubs, Club Fit, 24-Hr Fitness or Planet Fitness. World Gym is too far and the few remaining "ladies only" clubs hold no appeal for me. Besides, this gym is in the shopping plaza that has the best supermarket.

I have just enough time to do the Mat Stretch, primarily for the hamstrings, back and piriformis muscles. And then, back into the icy cold rain... thank goodness for cars and heated seats.


Always in a Rush Push Day

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.90
Calories 325
HR avg150 / high 214 (lows 116, 86, 96)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Elbow Plank 60s
Horizontal Scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Pushups 30

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 15
70 x 25, 25, 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets
20/25 lbs x 12/20 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 x 12, 11, 11

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...