Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Oh, What the Heck

Tuesdays are so long and hectic that I start out writing a blog post and sometimes don't get to finish it until the next day. Like today. I suppose I could've completed the task last night when we got back from Boy Scouts, but I was tired and unfocused. A good morning workout will do that to me.

It was a Pull Day and I put on my speckle-patterned leggings. They're fairly comfortable even if they're not the most attractive thing I own. I just don't look good in leggings or anything really body-hugging, because I'm not long and leggy. If anything, I'm built like a fireplug, with a thick core, stocky legs and upper arms to match. But what the hell? As long as I'm not embarrassing myself, I'm okay with it. I do have trouble finding a tank to put over my sports bra because I am NOT one of those women who works out with just a sports bra on over my top. Truth be told, if it weren't for the jiggle-factor and blazing headlamps, I wouldn't wear a sports bra. They are so dam uncomfortable, and I've tried a variety of brands and styles. I don't like clingy tanks either. I put on one I don't really like because it tends to shift to the right more than my other tanks. I know bodies are asymmetrical, but some clothes exacerbate the issue.

I'm able to use the cross-trainer that I like because it allows me to go to zero resistance. Hurray for my knees and toes! Consequently, I'm able to get more mileage in the same 30 minutes I did yesterday. My feet aren't nearly as numb afterwards — that makes me happy. It's a Pull Day and I do some pull ups. My forearms seem a bit sore from yesterday. Not unexpected. The Smith is free so I'm not going to miss my chance, and I move Core to the end of my routine.

I don't up my weights this week. Instead, I just do a few more reps. It feels like the right thing to do, so you could say I train on instinct. Next week I plan to change the increases and move from 80 lbs to 120, skipping the 100. That should free up a little energy for the heavier sets. It also changes what plates I put on the bar. I'll be swapping the 25lb plates on the 80 lb set for 45lb plates for the 120. At least that's what I plan to do. 

My arms, and especially my elbows/forearms are tired by the time I finish RG BB Rows and Seated One-Arm Cable Rows. Old guys hover all around the Cable Station. I never make eye contact with anyone. I had a friend, newly returned to the gym after being away for a year (she got busy with home renovations), who had to tap me on the hand to say Hi. I didn't see her even thought she was standing right in front of me. I knew someone was there, but in my defense, I was also typing stats into my phone. (My glaucoma's not THAT bad yet.) I don't mind being around people, I just don't want to interrupt my workout with chatting.

Geared towards women no doubt
In the locker room the TV has a "women's daytime" show. They all want to sell you something. Not blatantly like an infomercial, but in the sneaky guise of being helpful. Yes, you'll want to know what the latest fashion trends are in dressing, make-up, hair styling, cooking, snacking, exercising... toss out your old stuff because that's so last season! Buy buy buy! Ugh. Sometimes I feel like an alien in the locker room because I can't imagine being so preoccupied with nail salons and hair coloring. Not that I don't care with how I look. In two weeks, my son's kung fu school has their annual fundraising banquet. All the students, kids and adults, perform various forms and dances. There's a buffet and a cash bar. It's one of the few times I get to dress up a little.

Maybe not this one
This could be nice
Today I tried on a few dresses with jewelry and shoes. I want to have everything planned out. Because I hate surprises, like when you're counting on wearing something that you discover too late plain doesn't fit anymore. That happened to one of my husband's bosses at a company holiday party. His normally elegant wife showed up in a dress that was too tight on her. It even looked a little stained. She eventually noticed and got very flustered, especially since they have gobs of money so it's not like she's working two jobs and looking after the kids with no help. Yes, we're all judgmental!

My hubs and I will only have an hour to change into dressy clothes because we'll be spending the morning and afternoon at the University of Scouting. We've signed up for some courses, and enrolled our son in a Leadership Development seminar. We went last year and our son stayed home, sleeping in and playing video games. This year will be different. My hubs didn't even want to go to the banquet, except that he's impressed with how well my son moves doing his various sword forms. I'm impressed too. 

Tuesday Pull Day
This'll work

30 x-trainer
Calories 141
Miles 3.70

HGPU 26

Smith RDLs
Bar(30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
130 x 12
140 x 10
150 x 10

Smith RG BB Rows
80 x 25
100 x 25
120 x 25

Seated 1-Arm Cable Rows
45lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Elbow Plank 60s

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...