Thursday, February 22, 2018

With the Best Intentions

I'm always surprised at how quickly school gets cancelled around here. I'm guessing fear of liability lawsuits counts for a lot. I knew it was going to be a cold, wet miserable day and figured the nasty wintry mix would hold off until late this afternoon. Then the weather would pass and the roads would be good for the rest of the evening. I had plans. Plans to go to the gym, then meet a friend for lunch to check out a new curry restaurant neither of us wants to visit alone. Plans to check out friend's not-quite-finished, but planned-for-20-years-ago kitchen renovations. Plans to take my son to a Cub Scout pack meeting this evening where he and fellow Boy Scouts could assist in a Charity event. Nope. When school calls for "early dismissal" due to a weather forecast, everything gets cancelled. No after-school activities. Which means the schools will be closed, and not be accessible later in the evenings even if the roads are fine. Ugh.

Because I have lots of time now, I make mashed avocado on oatbran toast with fresh garlic and pour soft scrambled eggs over the top. I'm still dutifully logging foods into the MyFitnessPal app, but take some exception to the fluff they email in their "helpful nutrition" newsletters. One is entitled "5 Nutritionist-Approved Snacks Under 225 Calories." Most of the recipes have way too much sugar in it so I don't even consider making them. But what catches my eye and makes me wonder is the protein content. Because there's no way that you get 14 grams of protein from 3 slices of apple, even with peanut butter. The recipe claims 2 servings for 1 large apple, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips, and cinnamon. The 2 tablespoons of slivered almonds are optional. So one serving = 1 tablespoon of peanut butter with apple and chocolate chips? Peanut butter is about 8 gms protein. Where's the other 6 grams coming from? Maybe you get 2 gms from a tablespoon of almonds... but oh wait, those were optional. Why wouldn't the almonds be part of the recipe and the choco chips optional? Who's actually writing this crap anyway? And since the protein count is clearly unreliable, what else is questionable? Ugh. 

I didn't take the antihistamine last night and regret it greatly this morning. I've been having trouble staying asleep for the past several nights, and it's only this morning that I remember I've been drinking two cups of coffee in the morning, instead of just one. That extra caffeine has been enough to make me feel wide awake at 3 am when I wonder why I'm awake at all. I didn't take the antihistamine, and today my head feels heavy and gloppy. I'm downright queasy. Barometric changes aren't helping. I could take a decongestant, but don't like one major side effect: constipation. My body is extremely sensitive to meds of any sort, which is why I try not to take any at all. But tonight I'm definitely taking the loratadine. I'm planning to go to the gym tomorrow!

My quads are sore. My glutes are sore. But more surprisingly, the sides of my hips are sore! That would be the tensor facia latae, which stabilizes the hip in movements like walking and aids in extending and rotating the leg. Didn't see that coming... especially not from doing a few pistol squats.

Good thing I'm not doing walking lunges or split squats. My knees don't appreciate lunges, especially with weights. They're not really happy with squats either. Maybe I'll just whack the Nexersys tomorrow. Either that, or a Cardio Day with Intervals. You know which one is going to be more fun? Not the Intervals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...