Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Valentine's Day

The school district decided at 6:07 this morning that the roads were too icy and called a two-hr delay. More sleep for me! But with a late start, everything got pushed back. Including my trip to the DMV to renew my license. It doesn't expire until next month, but I figure I'd go before it became critical. There was a fairly long line, but once it was determined that all I was doing was renewing an existing Enhanced License, all I really needed was to update my photo. Because my current photo is absolutely horrid: I'd just gotten back from Hawaii, had massive jet-lag so my face was all puffy, and I was 20 lbs overweight. Yep, not a photo I like to present for any reason whatsoever. At least today my hair looks okay and isn't flying out at odd angles in complete dishevelment, which it is wont to do. (I have old driver's license photos to prove that!)

I get to the gym well past noon but it's not terribly crowded. However, The Mayor is holding court and I can hear him from the Cardio Platform. Ugh. Luckily, he leaves before I get down to the free weight area. I knock out HGPUs, do a few push ups and save core for later. I am a lot more tired with this new routine where I pile all my heavy lifts into one day. My nose is still annoyingly drippy. Because I had mild dizziness and nausea this morning when I bent over to brush my teeth, I popped a single red pseudoephedrine with my morning coffee. (Claritin D = loratadine + pseudoephedrine.) Amazingly, my nose is still drippy even with the decongestant and antihistamine in my system. Oh well...

My head feels a little sloshy, so I think this is all sinus-related. Both my parents suffered from bad sinus issues, so naturally I do too. Yep. I'm still going to take a loratadine antihistamine tonight since I bought a package of 5, and I want to see if the vertigo clears up in a week or not. I can't take the red pill until I get up in the morning. It's as bad as a cup of coffee and not at all conducive to deep sleep! I have been sleeping soundly the past two nights and wonder if it isn't the antihistamine, even though it claims to be a non-drowsy medication. But everyone reacts differently.

I don't want to spend all day at the gym so I cut my cardio warm up to just 20 minutes, do my pull ups and knock out a few push ups. I planned to warm up the shoulders with band pulls or baby bell raises, but completely forgot and never got to any of that. Instead, I start with the 20 lb barbell front raises and then upright rows. My arms already feel tired! Ugh. I move on to the DB super sets and I'm really happy that I can actually do these without having to drop my reps. Seriously, my arms actually feel weak from yesterday! Ugh. Finally, I grab the 40 lb BB for Skull Crushers, and during the first set, the hairband keeping my braid together catches just under my right shoulder. It's as bad as bra hardware digging into your back when you lay on a bench, as you're trying to focus on not dropping weights on your face!

The hair band is in the wrong spot so I have to take it out, and re-braid my hair just to get the band down lower so it won't catch under my shoulder when I lay down on the bench. Ugh. I miss having short hair. I miss being able to stick my head under the faucet and just rinse my hair out. But I don't miss hunting for a decent hair cutter... Oh well. I clip it up most of the time, but it's heavy when it's wet. Because I don't use a blow dryer, my hair is wet for a really long time. Like it's still wet now. 

Three big HS guys arrive at the gym and immediately drop onto the mats. Luckily the classroom is empty so can do my planks there. I also do a few pistol squats. My right quad isn't painfully stiff today and I manage to do 3 for each leg, alternating in a walk. I've gotten as many as 6 to 8 per leg in the past. Of course, this might also make my legs and butt bigger and I don't want that unless I drop a few pounds so I can stay in my clothes. Seriously. When you're short, having pants that fit are more important than doing one-legged squats.

Wednesday

20 x-trainer
Calories 95
Miles 2.52
Average Heart Rate 154

HGPU 28
Push Ups 60

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/15reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Pistol Squats
6 = 3 ea leg

2 comments:

  1. I admire your ability to do pistol squats. My knee won't allow for it, though it does let me low bar squat over bodyweight. Both my shoulders have been painful the last 2-3 days. Probably the hand-release pushups I have been doing. Boy I hope they get used to the push ups soon! THey hurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sore shoulders are no fun! I had to google hand-release push ups to see what they're about. Interesting! They look like they might work the same muscles as the Band Pulls. I might give them a try just cause I like to check out new stuff to do! Thanks!

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...