Tuesday, February 6, 2018

You Know It's Working When...

The combination of two cardio sessions plus two big movements snuck up on me last night. I was ready for bed by 9pm! But I stayed up, because I always do, until 11. Even 11 was kind of early for me. Tonight I'm hoping for 10:30, but since we have Boy Scouts and don't get home until nearly 9:30, that's highly unlikely.

I didn't drag myself out of bed, but I did feel a little tired. That didn't motivate me much at the gym, but I did Intervals anyway. I thought about cutting back to 20 minutes for a second, then ignored myself. It wasn't my best mileage, but Intervals rarely are. I was fairly pleased though at my home scale this morning: 108 lbs and down to 15.6% BF. Not my best weight or BF, but it's been so much worse not that long ago! Well, tracking my food is definitely working albeit slowly. It forces me to plan meals a little better, and to consider choices I might make in the future. There's a lot less hand-to-mouth when you have to log everything. (I just have to teach my son portion control, especially with ice cream!)

My hubs, on his no/low carb plan, has dropped 7 lbs in a week. He has a ways to go before he's down to a reasonable "fighting weight." But right now, he's very happy and plans to continue "indefinitely." He says he doesn't have any carb cravings, which is great. He did finally disclose what his starting weight was, and I was shocked at how fat he'd gotten. I'm glad I didn't say anything, and let him decide that his clothes were just waaay too tight. Now I just have to prod him to get a physical, and the dreaded colonoscopy, because it's good to have a baseline test once you hit 50. And he's 50 now, although he doesn't want to admit it.

I'm drenched once Intervals are done but I get 2 more reps for HGPUs today. I decide to skip push ups, but not core. I understand you can do core every day if you want. It is a lot harder today than it was yesterday, after a 3-day layoff. I didn't do RG BB Rows yesterday, but I think I'll skip that big movement today as well. Instead, I focus on shoulders and arms and move right into the barbell super sets I usually do after Inclined Presses. I'm a little shocked at how hard these seem today! The DB super sets are also hard! Worse, the V-bar tricep press down at the cable station makes my tri's sting a little at just 40 lbs. I guess they're tired from yesterday! Apparently I just wasn't aware of how strenuous yesterday actually was. Lastly, I do some Seated One-Arm Cable rows for back but also for biceps and forearms.

The danger with doing my plan is that I'll be over-working arms and shoulders because they're involved with the bigger movements from yesterday, and here I am working them in isolation again. You would think that because it's been 24-hours, they'd be fine, but normally only work them once a week, on a Push Day or a Pull Day. Of course, that's why my pull ups and push ups start to fail by the end of the week, but that's mostly the elbow and shoulder joints, not the actual muscles. 

By this time The Mayor is seated across from my at the Lat Pull Down station, and Loud Mouth is at the V-bar Press Down. There have been other regulars floating about, but other than totally avoiding the DB area (because Frankenstein was standing right in front of the DB rack, of course), I'm fairly oblivious. And that's because I have my tunes blasting. Half the time I'm dancing around between sets, bopping to the beat, mouthing the songs like a Lip Sync battle solo. I see Hoodie, a youngish regular with tats down his right arm, crack a smile. It's okay. I don't care what other people think, and I'm not in anyone's way. Then I remember that I meant to, but forgot to, do Mid and High Band Pulls, so I go back to the Stretch Cage. After a full Mat Stretch, I'm ready to shower and change. The gym scale says 109.4 lbs. I'm shocked, but in a good way. I just need to not sabotage myself, 'cuz stuff like that happens... it's mostly anxiety. But if I stick to tracking my food, and my hubs stays no/low carb, I think we're good.

I plan to hit the gym tomorrow but the forecast is for snow and more snow all day... I don't even know if there's going to be school. I heard maybe the government's shutting down on Thursday. It's always something, isn't it?

Tuesday

30 elliptical
Intervals
Calories 297
Miles 2.62
Average Heart Rate 145 / max 190

HGPU 28
Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Elbow Plank 60s

BB Front Raises s/s Upright Rows
20lbs x 15/15 reps x 3 sets

T,Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Cable V-bar Press Downs
20lbs x 15 reps
40 x 13, 12, 12

Seated One-Arm Cable Rows
30lbs x 12
45 x 12
60 x 12

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...