Friday, February 9, 2018

Abbreviated Whack Day

My hubs needed to replace his armoire/wardrobe because it's made of chipboard and starting to fall apart. Because we don't have thousands of dollars to spend on furniture, we compromised and spent more than we wanted to, but less than we could've and bought one on sale at Bob's Discount Furniture. They're very efficient. We got a text message two days ago giving us a link to the delivery truck whereabouts. This morning at 6:15, I got an automated call stating they'd be at our house in 45 minutes. And they were. It didn't take long for the two fellows to assemble the piece and take all the packing material with them. But it did take my hubs a while to get himself together and leave for Boston. Meanwhile, I did house chores and then, we had breakfast. Or rather, I had second breakfast. Then I was finally able to hit the gym.

I'm still suffering from "winter vertigo" and that's slowing me down. I'm going to wait it out like I do every winter. Ugh. It's a bit scary to notice how badly your mind is functioning. Antihistamines haven't helped me but I haven't been desperate enough to try everything on the market. My brother, who has Meniere's disease, is on daily antihistamines to control his vertigo, but his is much more severe and persistent. His hearing seems okay though. (Click here for more information about this disorder.)

My sister doesn't suffer from any of this, but she's gets small patches of eczema and psoriasis. I just have the ichthyosis vulgaris. And since my son does not have it, that particular skin disorder has reached a dead end. Thank goodness. Because it's a lot more than just having dry skin. It's having skin that doesn't exfoliate properly by itself, skin that's extremely sensitive and prone to fissures. It's winter, so of course, I've got fissures in at least three fingers and my heels are painfully cracked. No wonder my grandmother used to slather herself in petrolatum!

Zero blocks but 233/150 strikes?
My husband has been extolling how great he feels on the no/low carb plan. No fatigue, no foggy-headedness. The only downside is pooping rabbit pellets because he needs more fiber in his diet. The other night I walked into the kitchen and turned on the lights to see my husband stuffing raw kale into his mouth. I burst out laughing. He hates kale. Luckily I buy it regularly, and had some washed and ready to eat in the fridge. He claimed that he suddenly realized the need for leafy greens. Uh huh. This morning, he made scrambled eggs and andouille sausages before he left. I had some eggs and half a sausage. Because that's just waaay too much food for me before I hit the gym. I'd already had coffee and an icelandic skyr yogurt earlier when I first got up to walk the dog and get my son ready for school.

I get to the gym a little past 11 am. I do my warm ups and debate with myself just how much time I want to spend here. Because I have other things to do today. I settle on just the 7 Beginner rounds, with both Follow Me and Sparring. It's a good, hard workout. Especially the Sparring rounds, because I land a lot of blows. Not counting the ones that the machine totally discounts because I've stopped the machine. Because I'm hitting too hard. Yet, the machine tells me I've blocked no strikes. And that my power is down. But out of 150 strikes, I've landed 233? Yeah, I don't pay too much attention to the stats anymore. What is absolutely infuriating though, is that the Power Dig sensor is on the fritz and may only register one out of a dozen strikes to that pad. So it remains "green." Ugh.

I knock out a few pull ups, stretch, and then shower. At home, sorting through a box of photos from my dad's house, I find a lot of old pictures I'll toss out because either all the people in them are long dead and I don't know any of them, or they're duplicates and triplicates. But there are a few that are worth keeping. One is of me and my sister standing on my parent's terrace about 30 years ago. My hubs laughed and said my sister is standing there like a swimsuit model but I'm posed like a super hero. And that made me laugh too. Because she's always been the "girlie girl" and I've always been the tom boy.

Friday Whack Day

10 min x-trainer
Calories 48
Miles 1.28

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15
Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys
7r Beginner 4FM 3Sp

HGPU 28

1 comment:

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...