Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Post Election Workout

My son didn't have school yesterday, unlike many of his friends in neighboring school districts. He's getting too big to sit in the Child Care room for 2 hours so we skipped the gym. Instead, I dragged him along while I voted, went to the bank and then took him to see Dr. Strange, a movie my hubs saw last week in Boston. He said it was great, especially in 3D. So we opted to pay a buck more for the 3D experience.

Our local movie house is manned by apathetic teenagers, so after paying for two tickets, and a small popcorn and water, the tickets sit in the machine while the clerk wanders off. I grab the tickets out of the register, and then ask where the 3D glasses are. "Oh yeah," comes a stuporous reply. Once seated, we note just a few other families also complaining about the out of focus previews. A man volunteers to get some help. He returns and tells everyone that he's been told the fuzziness is because the film is 3D. Uh, no that's not it. Two minutes into the actual film and the same man marches back to the concession stand. Uh, someone will fix it. Eventually. Ten minutes into the film. My son and I agree that we would've fared better watching the regular 2D flick. The 3D glasses make the movie seem dark. My son says the film is too bright without the glasses. Hmmm. It was a good film, and I'd see it again. But probably not at this theater. Even at $5 Tuesday prices.



Afterwards, I make my son get a haircut. Then we shop for groceries. Eventually we drive to the next town to put in our order for the best blueberry pies ever made at Salinger's Orchard and Bakery. Okay, time to go home as it's getting dark, and too late to get the car washed. Today my son has school so I can spend a few hours at the gym. I'm back to logging in over 6 miles of total cardio to bookend my core and weight workout. My hands are still tender and I have to be careful not to stress them too much. If your hands hurt, it's difficult to get anything done!

Push ups, pull ups, core work. Okay, the Smith is busy but the MaxRack is not. I don't like the MaxRack because the bar is much heavier and I don't feel as safe in it if I lose my grip. But since today is a Pull Day, that's okay. I have to work much harder to keep my form while doing SLDLs. A young fellow in the adjacent Squat rack is doing DLs too, but he takes much longer breaks between sets. Another fellow who I've seen around asks me if he can work in between my sets because the overhead pull up bar on the front of the MaxRack is the only one he can use. I tell him "No Problem" because I have tiny hands and so that's why I can only use the Stretch Cage for pull ups. I yank off a glove and wave my fingers at him. He tells me his mom is 4'8" and has tiny hands too, but not as small as mine. Yup, even for a small person, I have unusually small hands.

It's the day after Election Day and people are either stunned or ecstatic. Count my husband in the latter group. Of course, we live in one of the few Republican counties in New York State, so that shouldn't come as a big surprise. I'm glad there's no rioting or turmoil in the streets. I like to think we're still civilized in this country. There's no weeping or celebrating at the gym though. The Mayor spends an inordinate amount of time chatting with Shaggy who is sporting an unusually trimmed beard and haircut. I guess the muttonchops didn't work out.

RG BB Rows on the MaxRack are much harder than using the Smith (even though I'm constantly worried about catching the stays on the Smith's upright). With the MaxRack, I feel the bar pulling away from me, pulling forward as I row upward. It's a struggle! And exhausting. As it should be. Today, I add RG BB Curls back into the routine because I have pathetically skinny forearms to match my bony little hands. After pull ups, I manage to do a full Mat Stretch. At least I won't be quite so sore tomorrow.

Wednesday Workout
(6.33 total cardio miles)

30:14 min x-trainer
3.79 miles
7.53  av speed
7:58 av pace
138 calories

Knee-Ins: 50
HGPU  31
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

MaxRack SLDLs
Bar (55 lbs) x 15
75 x 13
95 x 13
115, 125, 135  x 12

MaxRack RG BB Rows
Bar (55 lbs) x 20
75, 95, 115, 125, 135 x 20

HGPU 31

Seated Cable 1-Arm Row
45 lbs x 12 x 3

RG BB Row
30 lbs x 21 reps x 3 sets

30 min elliptical
Program 1
2.54 miles
286 calories

HGPU 36 Yaaay!

Torso Twist (because I really need a smaller waist!)
30 lbs x 15 reps x 2


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...