Friday, November 25, 2016

Post-Feast Workout

We drove a few hours in iffy weather to celebrate Thanksgiving at my cousin's home in southern NJ. Her brothers and their families came, as did my brother and his. We always have a great time there and there is always plenty of food. We left with goody bags of turkey, ham and pumpkin pie. Even my son, who was worried about being bored, found camaraderie among his younger cousins who looked up to him as the big kid. Since he's an only child, he was quite tickled with all the attention. Our dog seems much better, and after several hours away, we came home to a clean kitchen floor and a happy pup. He needed a walk and dinner, but he is greatly recovered.

Today, my hubs and I went to my gym to work out while my son slept in. We both have our own exercise routines, but mine takes longer. My gym was nice enough to waive the $10 walk-in fee so my hubs got to work out for free. And then, because it takes me longer to shower and change, he sat down with a protein shake from their counter (which he claimed was the most delicious one he's ever had), and promptly bought himself a membership for $20 a month. Just going a few times a week and using the shower is worth $20 a month, if only because they have great water pressure and lots of hot water! Afterwards, we had to shop for some gym essentials, like a lock, shower shoes and a travel kit for toiletries. He likes the fact that you can suspend your membership for $5/mos should you be unable to get to the gym. Like if he winds up in Boston for weeks at a time. Or Houston.

I did my 30 minutes on the cross-trainer, pull ups, knee-ins, push ups, crunches and planks. Then a few good sets on the Smith Incline Bench where I upped the weight a tad. Then a few delt sets. My hubs was pretty much done by then so I cut my 2nd round of cardio in half to just 15 minutes of Intervals. And wrangled another set of pull ups before showering and changing. I see some new faces today. My husband's is a new face too but we don't work out in the same space. I see defeat in the eyes of a guy by the Assisted Pull Up machine, and I'm amused because he was totally annoying slamming plates onto the seated chest press machine behind the Smith. As if he was going to garner any positive attention from that display of sloppy-handed weight control? I don't think so.

The gym scale is not kind today: 113 lbs. But it's not ridiculously awful. I'd like to drop those 5 lbs because I really don't need them. I guess I'll start again today! We have a whole pork shoulder in the fridge, waiting for a tender salt and liquid smoke bath before sitting in a low oven for 10 hours. That'll be tomorrow's project, along with putting up the Christmas tree and lights in our bay window. It's the Holidays!

Friday Workout
5.01 miles total cardio

30 min x-trainer
3.73 miles
141 cal
7.44 av speed
8:04 av pace

HGPU 32
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dog 2 x 60s

Smith incline press
Bar x 15 reps
12 x 50, 70, 80, 90 lbs
25 reps x 50 lbs

DB lat s/s Rev Flyes
25 lbs x 12/12 x 3

HGPU 31

15 min elliptical
Intervals
Calories 145
Miles 1.28

HGPU 34

2 comments:

  1. So happy your pup is feeling better! Glad you had a nice big family Thanksgiving, and that it went well. I really enjoyed seeing the group pic of your family!

    ReplyDelete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...