Thursday, November 3, 2016

Staring the Scale in the Face

I skipped the gym today because I can't seem to do that AND get my errands done without running out of time before the school bus arrives. I told my son I'd meet him with an umbrella this afternoon because he'll be bringing his viola home, and all his books. The forecast calls for afternoon thunderstorms. Before I run out of the house, but after I've had my morning coffee, I step on my home body fat scale and hold my breath. At least my hair is dry.

The scale gives me the bad news: 109.6 lbs and a whopping 16% body fat. Ugh! When I was trying, I'd managed to get it as low as 14.9%, but mostly it hovered in the mid-15s. Now I have a full percentage point to wrestle with, and it's hard battle. 109.6 lbs isn't horrible but it's more than I want to be. It's enough to make my pants uncomfortably tight, and these are clothes that I don't want to replace because 1) I like them; 2) clothes are expensive and 3) I don't want to toss out or donate perfectly good clothes just because I've gotten a tad chubby. They'll fit so much better when I get back to 107 on this scale. This scale reads differently than the gym scale and I'm good with that. At the gym, I'm usually drenched inside and out (having sucked down a liter and a half of water, and now sporting waist-length hair). Which means it's only good for spotting trends, not actual weight.

The bad thing about skipping the gym is that I have a much bigger appetite. I wash down half my vitamins with a cup of greek-style yogurt and maple syrup. Not three hours later, and I'm hungry again! WTF? I rummage around looking for something not too sinister and settle on a can of tuna which I mix with some pickle relish and toss onto romaine leaves. That and a cup of Scottish black tea with a half spoon of honey and a spot of half 'n half will do. I have swim class tonight, and I'm thinking of making oatmeal with poached eggs for supper. My son likes eggs so he might actually eat this type of meal. Kids can be so finicky.

I think about finding a full time job and realize that not only would I have to give up working out, I'd probably have to give up eating as well... Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...