Thursday, November 17, 2016

Thank Goodness for Veterinary House Calls

This morning
I wake to the fact that the dog got up in the middle of the night, peed on the newspapers near his water bowl in the kitchen, and then fell asleep by the hall way. Usually he sleeps in the bedroom, but he was probably too tired to walk back. He's so still when I walk past him that I have to stop and stare to see if he's breathing. Normally I can hear him snoring, but not lately. Lately, his breath is shallow and faint.

After I clean up, get my son off to school and the husband off to work, I pack my gym bag and guiltily glide out past the dog. He's not interested in food, except to lick a bit of yogurt off my fingers. I take him for a walk and he tries to nibble some bright green grass hidden under the fallen red maple leaves. But he only takes a tiny nip before he wobbles off. I have him securely harnessed so he doesn't fall, but he weaves unsteadily. At least I know I can carry him if I really have to. Back in the house, he's not interested in the birds, the potential cats in the driveway or anything else. Well, at least the veterinarian is coming this afternoon to have a look at him.

The gym is oddly crowded only in certain areas. All the cross-trainers on the cardio deck are in use, including my favorite one. But none of the cross-trainers by the door are occupied. So that's where I end up for the first 30 minutes. Pull ups, push ups, crunches and one set of Bird Dog planks done. The Smith is empty so I'm there in a heartbeat, pushing the adjustable inclined bench out of the way, but leaving it close enough so I can sit on it between sets. The SLDLs are routine, but I'm tired of wasting my time with warm up sets on the RG BB Rows, so I move right to 80 lbs for the first set. That saves me two sets and time. Maybe I should cut back? Even my loose tanks are starting to feel tight. Uh oh.

I see a few regulars. I can always hear The Mayor way before I see him. And creepy PJ Pants is way back in machine city. I honestly don't know what these people actually do here at the gym. Agent99 is back and looking really good. She's lost a lot of weight and gained some nicely toned muscles since the first time I saw her maybe two years ago. I watch the clock to make sure I have time for another round of cardio. I only do one more set of pull ups too. I don't even stretch out before I'm off to shower and change.

I get home to find that the dog has peed on the newspapers in the kitchen again, and also vomited up foamy yellow bile and bits of grass in the living room. He looks exhausted and stressed, and he's not interested in food or water. I take him out just in case he needs to pee or poop but he barely makes it down the walkway before he turns around to head back inside.

The vet and her tech show up and the dog manages to sound the alarm. He's actually standing this time, instead of barking from a seated position. After sniffing suspiciously, the dog calms down because he likes it when women come to visit him. Men, not so much. They're able to check his vitals and assess his condition without him freaking out, noting that he's massively muscular in front with an atrophied back end. This is not unexpected in a dog with bilateral ruptured CCL as he's basically walking on his front legs. But he likes all the attention he's getting.

The vet and her tech take blood and make do with a tiny drop of urine. They also administer an IV of saline (subcutaneously) to help him stay hydrated since he seems to be peeing more than he's drinking. And then a shot to quell his queasy stomach. If he doesn't eat, I can't give him his pain medications. Pain meds might help with the tremoring back legs. I'm not sure. They'll call tomorrow with the lab results. And the cost? Not cheap. But probably as much as going to my regular vet, without all the angst and anxiety. Without me having to carry my dog into the back of the car. Without him crying the entire 25 minute drive there and back. And stressing throughout the entire visit. Which ultimately leads to stress poops. Yes, the dog is much happier. I'm hoping for good news tomorrow, not inconclusive lab results. But who can say?

The pharmacy does not have pilocarpine in stock and has had to special order it for later today. Maybe I'll pick it up tonight on the way home from swim if I remember. I'm thinking tomorrow will probably be a good day for either cardio, or kickboxing. I'll probably be too tired but WTH?

Thursday Workout
6.17 miles total

30 min x-trainer
Calories: 146
Miles: 3.61
7.20 average speed
8:20 average pace

HGPU 31

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 60s x 2

Smith SLDLs
Bar x 15
12 x 80 lbs, 100, 120, 130

Smith RG BB Rows
20 x 80, 100, 120, 130

HGPU 31

30 min elliptical
Program 3
2.56 miles
290 cal

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...