Monday, November 14, 2016

Packing On Unwanted Mass

Again, it takes me a long time to get out to the gym. I was completely non-productive this weekend although I had planned to get quite a few things done. I blame the chest cold, but in reality, I'm feeling rather melancholy about losing all the musicians of my formative years. Well, I guess Simon and Garfunkel, and the Rolling Stones are still kicking. I don't feel old, but somehow it seems like I've lived a long time because there are so many things I have yet to explain to my son.

I knock out my cardio and basic warm up moves: pull ups, push ups, crunches, planks. But the side planks bother my shoulders and I'm not in the mood to wrestle with flat benching, even on the Smith machine. I very nearly sprained my thumb again wrestling with trying to remove the filter portion of our coffee press. Eventually my husband succeeded, but not without me wasting 15 minutes prior. The adjustable inclined bench is always by the Smith, so today I'm just doing Inclined Benching. And maybe some DB Lat Raises.

Because I'm not pre-exhausted on flat benching, I can up the weight! Yaaaaay! I've been stronger, but there's no point in dwelling in the past. After muscling through three sets, I finish with high-reps just for the pump. The gym is moderately empty, and I take this opportunity to up my weights on the DB Lateral Raises. I'll stick to 20s on the Reverse Inclined Flye in Two Positions (angles), because my joints and forearms complain a lot when I go heavier. Yes, 5 reps Reverse Flyes where arms come out perpendicular to the body, followed immediately by 5 reps Reverse where arms are doing that Superman thing. Followed by 5 reps perpendicular, then 5 reps Superman. That's one set of 20 reps.

I get to the gym late enough that most of the creepy guys are gone. On Friday, having my son with me activated a "creepy guy force field" that kept them on the other side of the gym. Nice! I don't mind most people, just the ones I can hear through my headphones and the ones that stare. Seriously, WTF? Younger guys don't stare. (Probably because I'm old enough to be their mom.) It's only the creepy middle-age guys who are totally ill-behaved.

For some reason I'm not busting much of a sweat today although my clothes reek after the workout. The scale confirms the nasty truth about my weekend eating and drinking habits: they are not good ones. 113.4 lbs is way more than I ever want to be! I feel as if I'm busting out of my tank and sports bra these days. That's okay for the tank because I can always go up a size if I really have to since they're Small or XS. But the sports bra is a whole 'nother animal because I'm maxed out at XL. There's no bigger size for a small-busted woman. The only solution is to drop some body fat! As if I didn't already know that...

Monday
6.28 miles

30 min x-trainer
3.73 miles
137 calories
7.43 average speed
8:04 average pace

HGPU 31
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Bench
Bar x 15
70 x 15
80 x 12
90 x 12 x 3
50 x 25 reps

DB Lat s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20 lbs x 12/20
25 lbs x 8 / 20 lbs x 5/5/5/5
25 x 12 / 20 x 20 reps
25 x 10 / 20 x 20

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories: 288
Miles: 2.55

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...