Friday, November 4, 2016

End of the Week Workout

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time in the pool just learning to trust my body to float. I also worked on my freestyle stroke by ignoring the breathing part. First things first. My belief is that the body needs to incorporate "body memory" of the correct way to do things before moving on to more complex movements. Hence my spending a lot of time just practicing the stroke while kicking, but not worrying about the correct position to turn my head and take a breath. I tend to raise my head too high, and the lead arm drops in front of me. Which has the unfortunate consequence of sinking my body. I don't stay at the surface like I'm suppose to. By the end of class though, I managed to get halfway decent strokes, and an almost decent breath turn.

Today I'd planned to get to the gym earlier so I'd have time to grocery shop before my son got home. Instead, my hubs got home from Boston sooner than I expected, so I didn't feel any urgency. This week my legs have been a bit stiff, and I can only guess that it's because I've started using the cross-trainer again. It not only moves at a different trajectory from the elliptical but also in the way it registers calories and mileage. My back has been a tad sore too, but maybe all this is because I only do these major weight lifting movements but once weekly.

I know I'm going to do an hour of cardio, but figure a mix of push and pull exercises will probably be a good thing. Yes, I'm too lazy to drag the flat bench across the gym to the Smith machine, so I just use the inclined bench that's already there. Inclined Benching with a last set of high reps sounds good to me. Followed by 20-rep sets of RG BB Rows. Then some delt work with DB laterals superset, of course, with reverse inclined flyes. I see Hannibal Baggy Knees doing waist twists with a 15 lb bar. He's dressed like a ref with a button down short sleeve striped shirt and shorts. Old men dress oddly at the gym. Some show up in jeans and loafers as if they're going for a walk in the park.

I'm actually too tired to up the weights on the DB laterals so I don't. I worry that these aren't doing anything for me, but I do have shoulders. I just wish I had better shoulders and I can't decide whether it's just genetics or that I need to cut my reps and up my weight. Always leery of shoulder injuries, there are a lot of exercises I won't do: T-bar raises, cable pull downs, pull ups and chin ups. I probably have too much body fat to see any finger marks that denote the three delt heads so that's incentive right there to stick to "clean" eating. At least until the Holidays are over.

Friday Workout
(5.99 total cardio miles)

30 min x-trainer
144 cal
3.40 miles
6.77 av spd
8.51 av pace

HGPU 31

Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60 secs
Side Planks 2 x 60 secs

Smith Incline bench
bar x 15
50, 70 x 12
80 lbs x 12 x 3
50 x 25

Smith RG BB Rows
Bar x 15
20 x 80, 100, 120, 130

DB Lat s/s Rev Flyes
12/20 x 20 lbs x 3

30 min elliptical
Intervals
2.59 miles
293 cal

HGPU 36 Yaaaay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...