Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Freaking Myself Out

I confided to my son last night that I was totally freaked out about my age. Not that I'm old or anything. But that in 4 short years I'll be the same age that my grandmother was when I was born. And he'll only be 15. He was quiet for a moment, and then said, "So your grandmother had her first grandchild at the same age that you're going to be but your kid is only going to be a teenager?" Yep, that about sums it up. I just have no intentions of looking like my grandmother. Ever. Eventually I'll look my age. We all do at some point. It just doesn't have to be too soon.

I'm a bit tired today and I don't make the mileage I'd like. But close enough. Today's a Pull Day, so after my "warm up", I waste no time knocking out Smith SLDLs and RG BB Rows. Because I need to use my Versa Gripp straps, my hands are bare and unprotected, and developing wicked callouses that will eventually discolor and peel off. They're getting a bit ragged, and I occasionally resort to filing them smooth. Chin Ups are also wreaking havoc on my hands and I do wear gloves for those. My hands are really sore between my thumb and pointer fingers. Yes, I have such delicate tiny hands.

Because I'm at the gym much later in the day, there's a whole different set of people here. Most of the seniors are gone. A new creepy face I noticed yesterday belonged to a trim, well-built middle-age guy with a wicked tan, and receding hairline. Mentally, I call him Beavis (and Butthead) even though he actually has a more pronounced widow's peak. But he has the same pointy features and round eyes. Yesterday he was constantly in my way. It's not winning him any brownie points. Thankgod he's not here today. Today there's mostly younger men. And a few women.

I see one outstanding young woman, and at first I'm not sure if she's a he or not. Because she's extremely tall with long well-defined arms and shoulders. And a high pony tail. There's a few guys sporting the man-buns, so I wasn't sure at first. But she's got a sports bra under the big loose tank, so she's a definitely female. I think she's keeping an eye on me just the way I'm keeping an eye on her from across the gym.

While I'm on the elliptical, I notice that most folks are on for considerably less than 30 minutes. Yesterday I saw a tall skinny girl actually resting her forehead on the front console while pedaling. That's a new one. Usually it's the old fat guys leaning their entire upper bods and arms on the panel. Tomorrow I think I'll whack the machine.

Tuesday
5.98 miles

30 min x-trainer
Miles: 3.46
Calories: 148
Average Speed 6.87
Average Pace 8:43

HGPU 31
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 100
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith SLDLs
Bar x 12
12 x 80 lbs, 100, 120, 130

Smith RG BB Rows
20 x 80, 100, 120
25 x 130

HGPU 31

Seated 1-Arm Cable Row
45 lbs x 12 x 3

30 min elliptical
Program 3
Miles: 2.52
Calories: 283

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...