Monday, November 28, 2016

Deep Listening

I've had this deep wet cough for several weeks now, and no matter what I do, or don't do, I can't seem to shake it. The past two mornings are the first in a long time that I've woken without the nasty post-nasal drip sore throat that usually accompanies this ailment. But I still have the cough. And every now and then, I lose my voice to an internal conspiracy of bodily fluids. Yuck. Well, at least I don't have pneumonia. My brother's girl didn't attend the Thanksgiving dinner because she was home in bed with a raging fever, and a diagnosis of walking pneumonia. Several courses of antibiotics failed to make any impact, and she's allergic to penicillin. Eventually, she recovered enough to get on a plane back to college, but I know from experience that she's going to be exhausted just walking to class. I had walking pneumonia once. In college. The cough I have now isn't anything as terrifying as drowning in your own snot. It's just exhausting in its own way.

After my husband leaves for Boston, and I put my son on the school bus, and the dog gets his medicated meal of chicken, rice and Metacam, and a nice leisurely walk, I actually go back to bed. And sleep for an hour. When I get up, I realize I have just enough time to get a quick work out in, and still be able to dash off to the grocery. The child is out of milk, and the dog needs more chicken. The dog is fully recovered, as is evidenced by his frantic dancing to tell me that there's food in the kitchen. Yep, he's well enough to bark furiously at the postman, and try to charge him at the door! He's still not quite 100% on the back end, but he's got a sensitive tummy and the slightest things upset his digestive tract. It's good to see him being a pain in the butt again though.

At the gym, I see my favorite cross-trainer is vacant so I get to do 30 minutes on it. Then pull ups, knee-ins, and push ups. But I lose count doing push ups. I think I've done 80, but I'm not sure. Screw it. I move on to crunches, and then, instead of planks, I do a set of Hindu or Dand push ups. Not to be confused with Dive Bombers. These are actually pretty easy, but I'm conscious of the time so I only do 25. No stretching, no extra set of pull ups.

Tomorrow is a Pull Day, and not an abbreviated one. I'd just like to be done with this cough, and I am taking zinc and other vitamins fairly regularly. I do wonder if the pilocarpine drops, which as also used to treat dry mouth, aren't having an effect on my cough.

Monday Workout

30 min x-trainer
3.76 miles
141 cal
7.52 av speed
7:58 av pace

HGPU 31
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 80
Crunches 3 x 50
Hindu Push Ups 25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...