Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Perseverance

To keep things fresh, I've been playing with different cardio programs on the Precor elliptical. I can't use any of the programs that rely on heart rate though since half the time my heart rate doesn't actually register. It isn't just the gym machines. My husband has a health app on his phone that requires a finger tip on the sensor for several seconds while it gauges your vitals. I've tried several times, but my skin is too dry for it to function properly. Today I warm up with 20 minutes of Intervals. After I'm done with my Back Workout, I do another 30 minutes of Intervals.

My triceps are a tad sore, probably from the first set of Rip Skulls in several months. But my knuckles and hands feel okay today. There's too many people in the space where I'd normally do RG BB Rows so I opt to use the Smith Machine instead. I use less weight on the Smith and my form is stricter. But keeping the bar from rotating inward and hitting the rungs is a pain. I still feel relatively fresh so I grab a 50 lb DB and get a set of One-Arm DB Rows, progressively moving up in 5 lb increments because I'm too lazy to get the pair of 1.25 lb magnetic discs from the front desk. My form deteriorates by the last set and I barely get 8 reps.

The Mayor and his cronies are gathered at my end of the gym and it just annoys me. They spend more time cackling and chatting than actually lifting. It's no wonder they don't really seem to progress. Of course, they're old men. Okay, they're probably old men. I don't know... they might only be in their 40s and 50s, hiding their bellies under over-sized polo shirts. I'm glad to move on to the Lower Back Extension machine, and then finally back to the elliptical.

I get most of my Mat Stretch done when the concert pianist drops down onto the adjacent mat. She tells me that her husband really enjoyed seeing my photo show and that they were still interested in buying two prints. I told her she should go see them herself just to be sure. She gives private lessons and works all the time. Then we got into a rather nice discussion about what it means to be an artist, and how hard it is if you're the quiet type and not comfortable with self-promotion. I tell her about the article I just read in JamesClear.com about Agnes De Mille and Martha Graham discussing artistic responsibility.

The Mayor and his posse are staring at us because "I'm the gal who doesn't talk to anyone". The pianist says not to feel bad as she rarely talks to anyone at the gym, mostly because they're loud people she doesn't have much in common with. Not that all artists are quiet. My mom once told my teacher that she could only describe me as an Extro-Introvert because I seemed to be both depending on the situation. But I'm also an athlete. An eclectic mix to be sure.

Wednesday Workout
Calorie :   160 CAL
Distance: 1.87 mile
Duration : 00:20:00
196
Set 1 : 30x20
Set 2 : 80x15
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 140x12
Set 6 : 140x12
Set 7 : 140x12
Set 8 : 80x20
84
Set 1 : 50x12
Set 2 : 55x12
Set 3 : 60x12
Set 4 : 65x8
292.5
Set 1 : 195x15
Set 2 : 195x15
Set 3 : 195x15

91.67
Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
Calorie :   304 CAL
Distance: 2.66 mile
Duration : 00:30:05
20
Set 1 : 20 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 20 Lap/Rep
130.67
Set 1 : 112x5
Set 2 : 112x5
Set 3 : 112x3

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...