Friday, November 21, 2014

Leg Workout Cardio AND Weights

There's a program on the elliptical that's suppose to be geared toward athletic goals. It looks like a series of peaks and valleys much like the Intervals program, but the last peak rises dramatically, supposedly akin to the burst of effort you need to cross the finish line. Or whatever the goal is. I'm not sure if it really helps you train your body to maintain a certain performance level and then pull out 110% at the end. I think most of that comes from you as a person, from your personality, and not necessarily any program. But that's just my opinion.

I have a hard time doing moderate exercise, unless it's labeled as a chore instead of exercise. But if I'm working out, then I'm usually going all out. Today is the last day and I feel a little beat-up, but mostly in my right shoulder blade. My lower back is always a tad stiff as well. But by the time I get my gym gear into a locker and myself onto a cardio machine, I'm feeling antsy, like a racehorse prancing at the gate. I'm still eating the same breakfast: a cup of instant espresso with sugar and cream, and a bowl of oatmeal with an egg, sugar and pomegranate arils. This doesn't explain why 30 minutes on the Cross-trainer gets me 3.87 miles. A quick hamstring stretch and I'm very happy to see that the Smith machine is empty.

I'm not ready to do sets at my max weight yet so 150 lbs is good. The only slight discomfort I feel are in my lower quads just above my knees. I've pulled back on my SLDLs as well. They feel okay and I'm satisfied with the 6 sets I get for reps. New lights in the gym make the free weight area too bright. Like a supermarket. It's not crowded although The Mayor and his posse are present. The Mayor is wearing an uncharacteristic T-shirt instead of his usual polo shirt. There are a few guys who work out in collared shirts. It's weird. But no weirder than the old women who exercise in knit cardigans.

Glute Ham Raises at the Lat Pull Down machine are much easier today than they've ever been. Weird. I add reps. Next time I'll add sets instead. I'm the only person who does them. I probably weird other people out. But at least I'm effective. Unlike the middle-aged couple who persist in doing their quarter movement bench press. I do another 25 minutes on the Precor elliptical just to get my total mileage as close to 6 as I can. I just miss.

There are people splayed out on the Mats so I wander into the hall area past the classroom. There's already a mat on the floor there, although it's well-worn and ripped up in several areas. It's still better than stretching out on the hard floor. I'm barely in the shower when I realize how hungry I am. Crazy. I suck down a protein drink in the car, and once I get home and the car unloaded, I make myself a sandwich.

My son has discovered rye bread sandwiches. He sees that the bread is labeled Jewish Rye and wants to know why he likes Jewish food. "What are you talking about?" I ask him. "Well, I like matzoh. And bagels." Well, yes. But I think he'd hate matzoh ball soup, or chopped chicken livers. We eat matzoh with butter because my grandmother and mother liked matzoh with butter. Not because we're Jewish. Although I was born in Manhattan and grew up in NYC. But he's definitely my son. He's Year of the Monkey, even though he was born in 2005, it was before the change in the Lunar Year. And I'm Year of the Rat. I'm not suppose to get along with my husband, Year of the Goat/Ram. But my son and I are like two peas in a pod. Oh well. It could be worse.

Friday Workout


Calorie :   147 CAL
Distance: 3.87 mile
Speed :    7.68 mph
Duration : 00:30:15
210
Set 1 : 30x20
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 140x12
Set 6 : 150x12
Set 7 : 120x15
196
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 140x12
Set 6 : 110x12
15
Set 1 : 15 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 15 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 15 Lap/Rep
Calorie :   236 CAL
Distance: 2.12 mile
Duration : 00:25:28
Set 1 : 00:01:10
20
Set 1 : 20 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 20 Lap/Rep
130.67
Set 1 : 112x5
Set 2 : 112x5
Set 3 : 112x3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...