Thursday, November 6, 2014

Buttered Rye Toast Has Done Me In

I'm exhausted today and I don't believe it's my workouts. No, I don't blame my increased cardio activity. Or upping my weights. Or even actually lifting real weights. Or the Halloween candy which consists mainly of Almond Joy, Mounds and Take 5 fun-size bars. I blame eating buttered rye toast with caraway seends. That, and being at the monthly Cub Scout planning committee meeting that runs from 7:30 to damn near 10 pm. I'd already ferried my son to kung fu, made dinner, and fed and walked the dog before we got to Cub Scouts. Luckily other parents brought their kids too so my son wasn't the only child there.

This morning is my son's early extra gym class (a PTO special) so I have to drive him to school an hour early. Today is also early kung fu, so I have to pick him up from school and drive him to class. Luckily, we have nothing after that and we both relish the idea of staying home for the evening even if it means struggling through the last of the Chinese school homework that's due Saturday morning. Tomorrow I'm also suppose to take my son to the local archery shop to shoot in their indoor range. And perhaps get some archery pointers. We're suppose to meet up with another child and his mom, but my son seems less than enthusiastic. I suspect their friendship is waning.

I tape and wrap my knuckles when I get into the locker room. I've brought scissors in my gym bag to cut neat strips of white tape. Every week I try positioning the tape a little differently over my right pinky knuckle. Today I've got a strip between the pinky and ring finger, overlapping both knuckles. Today my knuckles are sore and bruised after 12 rounds, but I don't get the familiar sting that signifies a rip in the skin. Maybe I've finally figured out how to tape my hands properly.

The machine is still flaky. I actually manage to land a blow that not only stops the machine, but temporarily causes the screen to blank as if I've hit the kill switch. Two seconds later and the screen is back up, but I have to be mindful of my punches. With three rounds to go, another person is suddenly whacking the machine to my right. He's wearing big gloves and seems to be sparring. I glance at the display. He's up for 4 rounds. Most people only do a few rounds. Not me. I like pushing limits of endurance and strength. Eventually I'll get back to 15 rounds (60 minutes). For now 12 rounds (48 minutes) is pretty good. And I haven't lost any skin off my knuckles.

Thursday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.74 miles

Nexersys 12 rounds Beginner Follow Me (48 min)
  Accuracy 96% / Strikes 100% / Average Power 137%


11 min elliptical = 1 min steady state + 10 min Tabata  = 0.82 miles

photo posted for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...