Tuesday, November 11, 2014

At Least I'm Consistent

Maybe it's a touch of OCD but I tend to be a bit compulsive in things I care about. At least it's nice to be consistent. Today I only let my son sleep in to 8:30 because I want to catch the 2nd showing of Big Hero 6, which opened last Friday. Because it's Veteran's Day, there's no school and I know the movies will be crowded. The gym child care room is not. Weird. I do my 10 minute cardio warm up which contains 4 minutes of Tabata (15 seconds On / 45 seconds Off) and then a quick cage stretch before I smack the kickboxing machine for a few rounds. Okay. Twelve rounds.

Nothing particularly different about today. I tape and wrap my hands before stuffing them into my pink kickboxing gloves. My right pinky knuckle is sore but I haven't scabbed anything up so that's good. I do spend a lot of time re-setting the machine because half my cross punches are too hard and stop the machine. Like I said, nothing much different. Except during the 10th round, some guy decides he needs to whack the other machine for a minute or two. He punches and jabs and kicks. There's a flurry of activity, but I'm not impressed. What did he do? A 3-minute round? Maybe it's because I spent my childhood watching bad Shaw Brother kung fu movies, but endurance and perseverance is ingrained into my vision of training.

After I strip off the gloves, wraps and tape, I put my hoodie back on and do 10 minutes of Tabata (1 minute steady-state to get into gear, then 10 minutes of 15 seconds On / 45 seconds Off). I feel pretty good. A quick lower back stretch and a basic upper back movement to prevent knots from forming under my shoulder blades and I'm off to the showers. My son and I buy our tickets with 45 minutes to spare so we wander up to the creperie restaurant. They're running a special on Tuesdays: buy one savory crepe and get one sweet crepe half price. My son orders berries and Nutella. I opt for the spicy Caribbean chicken stew crepe which is surprisingly tasty with tender chicken chunkes and a medley of olives. The salad is a bit wilted so I pick at that. By the time we get back to the theater, we hear grumbling about the show being sold out. Since we already have tickets, we just waltz right in. It pays to plan ahead.

Tuesday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.78 miles (81 calories)
I'm amused that I seem to burn fewer calories but cover more distance below.

Nexersys 12 rounds Beginner Follow Me (48 min)
  Accuracy 97% / Strikes 100% / Average Power 137%


11 min elliptical = 1 min steady state + 10 min Tabata  = 0.81 miles (78 calories)


photo posted for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...