Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Setting Priorities

16°F wasn't as bad as I feared this morning, mostly because there wasn't any wind. The dog gets frisky whenever it drops below 55, probably because he's got chow and some sort of retriever mix in him. Although you'd never know it because he doesn't fetch. Or play ball. Nope, not at all like the Lab Shepherd mix I had who could spend hours chasing and retrieving, while running circles around you in a good herding pattern. My son and I walk down to the school bus stop and discuss Minecraft and Harry Potter. We've made a point of watching a Harry Potter movie every other night since we own them all, and we've read all 8 books. Plus we intend to visit Harry Potter world when we go to Florida in a few weeks.

I would've liked to have gone when school wasn't in session, but my husband was adamant about not spending time in line in the Florida heat this summer. Now I fear it might be too late. Because the actual reason we're going to Florida is to visit his parents. They moved a few years ago and we've never visited. My mother-in-law has just recently been placed in a nursing home, having developed a devastatingly fast dementia. This summer she could still walk around and hold conversations. In September she fell in the kitchen and needed stitches. The hospital decided they couldn't release her to my father-in-law because he couldn't provide 24-hr care. Now she doesn't even know who my father-in-law is, and she forgets to eat. I don't think she'll see the New Year. We're going to visit but she won't know who we are.

I get to the gym a bit late because it takes a while for my old car to warm up. The gym look different. Probably because all the lights are on, which isn't normally the case. I do my 30 minutes on the LifeFitness Cross-trainer, stretch at the Cage and then wander to the other end of the gym where all the free weights are. The Mayor and his Cronies are gabbing and hanging off the Decline Bench. There are two or three women in the area too, and The Mayor is giving some advice to a girl who is alternating between swinging a kettle bell between her legs in the Squat Rack, and using one of the solid weighted bars to do dead lifts. I used to use those to do RG BB Rows but they only go to 110 lbs.

After a quick set with just the bar, I pull off my hoodie and wrestle on 45 lb plates. I'm so happy to have my VGs. I go for reps, like always, and can't resist upping the weight. I know I don't have the best form but since I can feel it where I want, and my back doesn't hurt, I'm okay with it. I also know that if I go any heavier, my rows start to look like shrugs. I should probably take this initial movement into dead lifts but I'll have to talk myself into it first.

I already know that between the cardio and the rows, my DB Rows aren't going to be worth much. So I'm not too upset when I decide to stay with the 55 lb DB and only do 3 sets. I'm a little more recovered when I wander over to the Lower Back Extension machine. Someone has the pin set for the entire stack (300 lbs) but they're much bigger than I am. After I pull the leg and head rests to their shortest possible positions, I put the pin at 195 lbs. I've been at this weight forever. The next set I add a 7.5 lb brick to the stack. Not that bad. WTH, I pull off the brick and up the pin to 210 lbs. It's actually not as hard as I thought, although oddly I do seem to feel it in my calves. Yay! PB for me!

I get on the Precor elliptical for 20 more minutes of cardio. Normally I do 25 minutes of roughly steady-state. Roughly because I get bored so I'm always playing with the Incline. Today I punch in the Intervals Program and I'm satisfied with my total mileage (5.4) although it's not my best. Some days you just got to have different priorities. After a standard full Mat Stretch, I can feel my stomach growling. Dang! I had breakfast too but I'm so hungry that I feel queasy by the time I get home. I toss the dog some stale ciabatta bread (his favorite) and cook up scrambled eggs with rooster sauce and an apple. I'm planning on doing the Body Weight workout tomorrow and Legs on Friday. Maybe I'll just do cardio next week as it's a short week because of the holiday. I do qualify for a free turkey or ham at my super market. I'm opting for the ham because leftover ham with beans and molasses in the slow cooker worked out well.

Wednesday Workout

Calorie :   146 CAL
Distance: 3.71 mile
Speed :    7.37 mph
Duration : 00:30:15
232.5
Set 1 : 45x20
Set 2 : 135x15
Set 3 : 145x15
Set 4 : 155x15
Set 5 : 165x12
Set 6 : 135x20
77
Set 1 : 55x12
Set 2 : 55x12
Set 3 : 55x12
315
Set 1 : 195x15
Set 2 : 202.5x15
Set 3 : 210x15
Calorie :   188 CAL
Distance: 1.69 mile
Duration : 00:20:00
Set 1 : 00:01:10
20
Set 1 : 20 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 20 Lap/Rep
130.67
Set 1 : 112x5
Set 2 : 112x5
Set 3 : 112x3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...