Monday, April 29, 2024

Summer's Gonna Be Unbearable

It was already near 60F when I woke up this morning. Already too freakin' hot! Dogs were panting after a few quick romps through the park. Trees haven't fully leafed out yet (so little shade) but there's a lot of seedling sprouts on the ground. That's unusual for this park. Pups lasted 20 minutes before they got bored enough to start digging and eating dirt. Time to go home. At least our house is well-insulated and cooler. The rest of the week should be more temperate, and that's a relief. 

I was concerned that the gym would be unbearable, but it was actually tolerable. A hot, stuffy gym is not a good gym for frail seniors or prospective new members. The back doors were open and luckily, no flies zipped through. Trash containers are usually at the back and with those doors open, there's a huge likelihood of pesky houseflies finding their way in. I've been pestered by relentless houseflies while in the Aerobics Room. It doesn't help that I'm usually kicking off lots of heat, sweat, and crusted with salt. 

I had a laser procedure (SLT) on my right eye last Friday so I didn't go to the gym. And my weekend saw me doing household chores and some classwork. I'm getting used to being on 4 eye drops but the skin on my eyelids has become ridiculously dry, flaky, and itchy. (I hope I'm not allergic.) That's annoying. And weird. Because eyelids are normally oily. And it's hard to find a gentle moisturizer that's okay to use around thin, sensitive eyelid skin. I've been using Aquaphor, but again, it's not something that should be used in the eye itself. 

All the ellipticals are available so I do my 35 minutes of cardio on machine #1, Program 3. Not as good as I'd like but not horrible considering it's been 3 days. Even pull-ups weren't bad. So far so good. I can even do my Seated Cable Rowing routine even though there are a bunch of people in that area of the gym. It feels late by the time I get to the Aerobics Room. It's pleasantly cool and I'm tempted to skip a few movements. But I don't. Because I don't really have any excuses that sound valid to me. Because that's who I have to justify it to. Me. So I do them all, and find myself almost going over the 90 seconds allotted for Wall Squats. Because I got lost reading a story on my phone. So, not bad...

No gym tomorrow, and temps should peak in the 60s, which is good. When I left the gym, my car said it was 84F. And temps only dropped 2 degrees as I drove home. Not too many bugs yet, but I did get buzzed by flies as I grabbed bags from my car. Yep, it's bug season. And because El Nino is over, summer's gonna be scorching

29 April 2024 12:03-1:45
Late Blazing Monday after 3 days off

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5634)
Distance: 2.85
Cal: 317
Avg Hr: 156, 188-82
Fitbit: 50-132

HGPU 15.5

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15, 15, 15

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25 (knees)
Arm rotations 20
Walking lunges 36 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...