Wednesday, May 1, 2024

My Gym Changed Its Name

Looks like Google Blogger site is screwed up AGAIN and won't let me import photos. Sorry.

On Monday, as I left the gym after my workout, I saw a cherry picker truck for a sign company removing the giant neon Gold's Gym sign from the front of the building. Weird. And I didn't think about it again until today when I realized that the Gold's Gym decals (on the Aerobics Room floor) had been replaced with 52 Fitness logos. Uh, what? Apparently the gym is no longer beholden to the Gold's Gym franchise system and is now an independent, marketing itself as a fitness center with a lot of classes. Muscle head gyms aren't quite so popular these days and the ones that remain in my town are outrageously expensive. There's no way I'm paying over $75/month to exercise. (Yeah, Equinox and Orange Theory are way out of my budget and don't exist in my town.)

I get to the gym later than I'd like. At some point I'll figure out how to get out of the house at the right time. Maybe Friday? Tomorrow I have my annual with my GP, and that requires a fasted blood test. So, no coffee in the morning. Grrrr... Also, no time for the gym. And Thursdays are the best days because it's less crowded than other days. I guess I'll also mention the faint dark line that I just noticed on my left pointer finger, but I'm not having a nail biopsy done. Did that with the right toenail, and it took almost a year to recover. It still doesn't look quite right, and that dark line wasn't subungual melanoma. It was just my skin being weird.

There's someone on elliptical #1 so I'm on #2, singing to myself and pedaling as fast as I can. I'm worried that I can't make it past 2.8 but as I warm up, I feel myself surge forward. It's a good feeling. I also manage a few reps over the first dozen pull-ups. Still, nowhere near the 23 I got once upon a time, almost two dozen reps! Oh well...

My BP has actually measured at "normal" levels (yipee!) for the past two days. I'm very pleased, but wonder if that's because these past two readings were taken a few minutes before 9 pm. I usually take the BP med at 9 pm and have an alarm on my phone just for that. Tonight I'm going to take readings before AND after taking the Losartan. It shouldn't make any difference, but my body doesn't always behave predictably. I'm really curious as to whether this is making that ridiculous difference!

I've also spread out my eye drops and don't know if that might also be having an effect. The preservative-free drops come in ampules that are designed for a single dose. But each ampule is 0.3 mL, which means that I can dose each eye once in the morning, and once at night and still have a dose left for each eye. I've calculated that each drop is about 0.05 mL.

In the past I would just squeeze it all out and it would run all over my face. What a waste. Lately, I've been giving myself three doses a day in both eyes, and that uses up one ampule completely. Because I keep the opened ampule in a capped upright container (that my husband 3-d printed just for this), I'm not worried about the drops becoming contaminated. I told my doctor's pharmacy assistant about this. (He told me to mention it to the GS at my follow-up appointment.) I asked him if there's really going to be a difference in whether I use the one ampule twice or three times in a day? Is spreading out the single dose over the entire day is the same thing, or not? He couldn't answer. But I assume the eyes are getting more meds since the eye surface can only absorb so much at one sitting.

What's annoying is that another drop that I'm on (and that the health insurance company doesn't want me to be on and keeps raising the co-pay for), only comes in 2.5 mL bottles, which translates into 50 drops (0.05 mL size drop per dose) per bottle, which is 25 days since it's both eyes. And the insurance company says, No, that's for a month. Uh, months aren't 25 days.

I stepped into the Aerobics Room and it's clammy and warm. Ugh. There's also three other people in there. Surprise! Halfway through my routine, the gym owner came in and adjusted the thermostat and I felt the a/c kick on. I guess the Seniors in the hour before were just fine with the sultry temps. I do all my movements without any issues but can't wait to shower and change. I'm on the hunt for Nivea vanilla flavored lip balm. For some reason, it's been very scarce and my lips, like the rest of me, is prone to getting dry and flaky...

1 May 2024 12:26-1:44
Wednesday Late
No More Gold’s Gym / 52 Fitness


Precor elliptical #2
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5668)
Distance: 2.86
Cal: 319
Avg Hr: 161, 191
Fitbit: 49-138

HGPU 15

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25 (knees)
Arm rotations 20
Walking lunges 36 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...