Monday, March 20, 2023

Spring Has Sprung

At 5:24 pm today (EDT) the sun will apparently be in position to beam straight down on the equator, or both the northern and southern hemispheres, equally. And then it'll be Spring. It's still pretty cold and there was black ice from road seepage although temps should hit the 50s today. Mounds of snow lurk in the colder shadows though. I get to the gym earlier than I expect but an entire weekend of eating out has taken a toll on my endurance. I don't make it to 2.8 miles today. I do, however, manage everything else.

Saturday, my husband suggested we go out to celebrate my birthday so we went to our favorite steakhouse. My son had chicken. Usually he has a strip steak with truffle oil mac & cheese. But lately he's been eschewing red meat when we eat out. His tastes are changing but he's becoming less adventurous, not more, which is a bit worrisome. (He used to love brussel sprouts and now he tells me that broccoli is a better vegetable. Okay... so Friday I made a baked corned beef but with broccoli on the side.) I had the angus beef stew and my husband had my second choice, braised short ribs. Next time I'm getting the short ribs because they're definitely the best item on the menu, in my opinion. 

Sunday we saved room to celebrate my friend's 80th birthday. She organized the whole thing on her own and invited a dozen friends and family to a private party at a local restaurant. Needless to say, we were quite satisfied with the drinks, appetizer, main course and assorted desserts including two different birthday cakes, and take home goodie boxes of Boston creme cupcakes and plastic Easter eggs filled with chocolate candies. Looks like I'm eating salad for the rest of the week! 

There are no storms in the forecast and temps should hover in the pleasant 50s for the week. I'm debating when to bring another load of firewood into the house. Just because the days are 50F doesn't mean the nights don't cool down into the 20s.

20 March 2023
Vernal Equinox Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5424)
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 306
Avg Hr: 140, 184-76

HGPU 22

15 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
15 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (55)
Steps 539
Floors 33
Cal 79
Hr 141

HGPU 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...