Thursday, March 16, 2023

Better Without Arms

The first nor'easter of 2023 dumped a heavy mix of snow and sleet over a 24-hr period, which meant shoveling the driveway, car and walkway twice, once Tuesday afternoon and once an hour before the school bus. (There was a 2-hr delay just so everyone could clear what needed to be cleared.) I got to celebrate my birthday by heating up a store-bought wild greens and phyllo pie. Yummy! It was Pi Day after all! 

My son helped me shovel. We stayed home, got a wood stove fire going most of the day and watched it rain, snow, sleet, snow, rain, snow for hours. Technically I'm old enough now to collect social security, but it's better to wait it out. Only 4 more years until I hit "full retirement" age, if the gov't doesn't move the finish line...

Wednesday saw multiple delays but at least the main roads were clear. There was enough heavy wet snow to bend our 10 ft hedges into the roadway. It was cold enough to keep icy lumps and clumps solidly in the branches. At least until today when temps hit the mid-50s, the ice melted and the hedges sprang back up. Still, any area that hadn't been shoveled or plowed at least once remains snow covered and ice-crusted. 

Yesterday, it was too late to go to the gym and I took the frantic dogs to the park because Tuesday was a no driving anywhere day. (It was hard enough walking them on the road while being pelted with icy wet stuff.) A State of Emergency will do that, and although we only got 8-10," other areas were hit with up to 17" and downed trees, treacherous roads and power outages. Wednesday was bright and sunny and pups were delirious to run through the snow. Better when another dog showed up to play!

The gym isn't as crowded as the parking lot would imply. I'm happy just to make it past 2.8 on the elliptical. I fare better on pull-ups. It's as if I suddenly remembered to pull with my back and not my arms. Always easier to use your whole body rather than those spindly appendages with the weak joints. Seriously. After core and stretches in the Aerobics Room, I do another set and then finish with the step machine. 

There are only two step machines. A girl is just exiting the one on the right so I use the the left one, which is actually a better machine--the TV works and the steps hit 60 before dropping to 55 for most of the session. The other machine has a dead TV and seems more erratic with the speed setting. I'm not paying that much attention to the TV but still change the channel from some soap to a business one. At least I can glance at news about markets and the economy.

Tomorrow I'm going to work that DB shoulder routine because I won't have to worry about shoveling. At least for this week. Not sure about next week. The weather is crazy these days. Tomorrow is also St. Patrick's Day, so I guess everyone will be wearing green?

16 March 2023
Post Nor'Easter Thursday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5574)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 313
Avg Hr: 146, 192-80

HGPU 22

15 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
15 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

HGPU 20

StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (55)
Steps 539
Floors 33
Cal 79
Hr 148

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...