Thursday, July 21, 2022

Sciatic Thursday

Another hot day. Today I went to the gym first so I could access the free weight area unencumbered by teens and tweens. To give myself a skosh more time, I cut the cardio by 10 minutes. It's hot and humid and the a/c makes the gym tolerable, but not actually cold. I save pull-ups for tomorrow, when I'll go after the dog park, and the gym will be crowded. 

Today's not so bad at 9 am. I still have to stretch out in the "functional gym" area by the front door, but better than not having a place to do core and stretches at all. There are at least 4 other bodies doing various movements in this small space. But there are no mats hanging over the railing and I have to grab one from the Aerobics Room. There are only 3 women in the entire room waiting for the instructor. When class starts, the musics blasts throughout the gym and I click my earbuds louder to block out the annoying sound of screaming and cheering. 

My sciatica is bothersome today and no amount of stretching offers much relief. Worse, I got nailed by several biting insects inside my house last night while cooking dinner. One minute I'm scratching my right shoulder and the next moment my left shoulder has half a dozen welts from unseen, unheard tiny vampires. I actually take an antihistamine because the itching is driving me crazy. I have bites all over my fingers as well and scratching them offers no satisfaction. I take my wedding band off because somehow the nasty bugger bit me under there too and my finger is swelling painfully. Ugh.

I do manage to muscle my way through the DB shoulder workout though. There are only 2 other people in the free weight area at this time, but that'll change as soon as the kids wake up. The dogs go to the park at quarter past 11 where one little canine friend is basking in the shade. My dogs run a few laps and then spend the next hour laying on the picnic table or digging in the dirt. Tomorrow I'll take the dogs earlier when there might be a few more friends. I hope it cools off. Because I keep myself totally covered in a hooded bug jacket and long pants while at the park. There's usually a breeze and lots of shade, but sweat is still beading up on my face when I'm there. Temps hit 95F today in spite of a brief thunderstorm. Personally, I think the inventor of air conditioning should be beatified and made into a saint.

21 July 2022
Blazing Sciatic Thursday

Precor elliptical #3
Program 3
Time: 20 min + 5 min cd (4030)
Distance: 2.04
Cal: 228
Avg Hr: 145, 181-125

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
10 one-leg hip thrust each leg
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 3

DB Incl Press s/s Lat Raise s/s Rev Inc Fly
10 lbs x 25/15/20 reps warm up
15 x 20/15/25 reps x 1
20/15/20 lbs x 20/15/25 reps x 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...