Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Just Gotta Move

After two days of relative inactivity (cleaning the kitchen and bathroom after being away for a week apparently doesn't count), my sciatica was making its unhappiness known. Off to the gym to do a slightly shortened cardio session, most of the core and stretch routine, and a few pull-ups. I rushed to get the pups to the Bark Park by 11 am but everyone from the morning group had already gone. We spent an hour lazing in the cool shade of the trees with the dogs occasionally racing each other through the dirt and weeds. In order to let the pups play with their friends tomorrow, I'll have to go to the park first, and the gym later. It's supposed to be in the low 90s so I'm very thankful for indoor a/c.

A week of college tours, hotel living and eating out and I worried about getting fatter than I already am. Well, I didn't gain any weight. But I didn't lose any either. So, I'll be thankful that this was a wash. But I am still working on dropping a few pounds so my clothes will be more comfortable, and I'll be less self-conscious. You wouldn't think it'd be so hard to drop 6-7 lbs but it's been very frustrating. At least I'm not any weaker. Push-ups and air squats were easy. The first round of pull-ups didn't feel too bad. And the second set is usually, but not always, weaker than the first. But at least I can still do them!

While at the Corning Museum of Glass, we saw a side exhibit extolling participants in a Netflix show we hadn't heard of: Blown Away. Once we got back to our hotel room, we immediately logged in and started watching. Of course, it's a competition in the same vein as Forged in Fire, Face Off, The Great British Baking Show... but with glass blowers. And some of them are amazingly talented. But the unintended take-away at the end of the show is that none of them are making a decent living at their art, and winning or even just being on the show, gives them marketability and a chance to sell their work. It's sad and discouraging for everyone who's at artist at heart. 



19July 2022
Sciatica Tuesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 20 min + 5 min cd (4116)
Distance: 2.06
Cal: 230
Avg Hr: 163, 186 max

HGPU 22

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
10 one-leg hip thrust each leg
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch

HGPU 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...